Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I don’t have Costco near me but I have Sams, and they do the same thing with their rotisserie chicken. It’s good.

I am close to both places and I prefer Sam's chicken over Costco anyday of the week.  Both places sell chicken for the same price and lose money on the sale and both say the chickens bring in customers who will spend money on other things while they are there. This is a win-win for all.

Honored Contributor

The Sam's in the Seattle area have closed so we just have Costco.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Bhvbum , thank you for posting the info about how to tell whether meat/fowl is cooked using temperature and not color. I've become a diehard user of meat thermometers and find it surprising how they can reach the safe temp and you'd never know it by color.

I use the thermometers from ThermoWorks, their Chef Alarm and other cheaper models. They've got great customer service and a terrific blog with fascinating info on things like carryover cooking, something everyone handling meats should understand to avoid overcooking.

@noodleann  I am a huge fan of thermoworks!  I'm going to give those pop thermometers they have for gifts this year.  We use ours about every day.  I LOVE that thing!  We have the MK4 but the pop gets used by far the most.  I have that big timer too and it is great!   Does 3 or four separate times (can't remember how many!).

Respected Contributor

I keep Costco's packaged chicken breast meat on hand, so convenient.  I especially like it for Mexican recipes, particularly Martina McBride's chicken tortilla soup - so good, recipe is all over the internet.

I also appreciate the suggestion for the Thermoworks thermometer because my Oxo died last night and it was impossible to open up the back to access the battery.  Surprised that Amazon isn't offering the Thermoworks. 

Trusted Contributor

@SeasonedCitizen 

I was so excited that Costco might have dark meat only for sale.  I went to my local Costco and they told me only white meat - and I found that for $12.99.  Do you have any info/details that will help me find the dark me you referenced?  I really would love to be able to buy only dark meat.  It certainly seems logical that if they pull the white meat...where does the dark meat go if not into its own package for sale.   I just can't find it and they seem to think I'm crazy for thinking it is there.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  TIA

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Regular Contributor

At my local Costco in the desert in So Ca they sell the leg quarters (thighs and drumsticks) in packages of 4 quarters in the refrigerator case. They sell this for the same price as the whole rotisserie chicken that is sold hot.  I guess they do this to sell the dark meat that is left from when they  separate  the white meat to sell on its own. So yes, dark meat is available, but it is not sold  as boneless meat like the white meat is.  Hope this helps answer anyone's questions.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if they use the dark meat in the chicken salad or chicken soup made with the rotisserie chickens.

Super Contributor

Will have to look for the packaged white meat in the Costco in NJ... Never saw it and was wondering where it would be in the meat section... Any info would be great....

Honored Contributor

Re: Costco chicken

[ Edited ]

@hondagirl 

In my Costco it is where the pre-made dinners are.  

Valued Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I don’t have Costco near me but I have Sams, and they do the same thing with their rotisserie chicken. It’s good.

I am close to both places and I prefer Sam's chicken over Costco anyday of the week.  Both places sell chicken for the same price and lose money on the sale and both say the chickens bring in customers who will spend money on other things while they are there. This is a win-win for all.

@Carmie I totally agree about Sam's chicken...I belong to both but Sam's seasons their chicken better & the skin is crispier.  Costco's chicken just doesn't taste as good.