Honored Contributor
On 11/6/2014 DiamondGirly said:

LOL.....I love the people on this thread - I just came back to say that some people may think this is not a good idea.... Costco allows it - I am thinking that people may not be able to get the coupon/discount deals with just a cash card. I notice they don't call it a GIFT CARD..?

I thought it might also be a good way to "test" out Costco to see if one wants to become a member - I read further to see that they CAN get a one-time pass...but have to use cash, so that might be better. There can be a 5% surcharge added, too!

*Thanks, cece5231 - I don't blame people for being defensive, especially if they've PAID for their membership!! I guess it's tough to police continual casual visits with cash cards...

Costco allows you to go in and browse without a membership. And I have no problem taking a friend in with me and even doing the gift card thing one time for them to try it. I just wouldn't be willing to do it all the time for the same person.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor
On 11/6/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

It's one thing if a Costco member voluntarily gives someone a Costco gift card or buys them for their OWN children to use if they live away from home, but for a non-member to ask the member to repeatedly buy them gift cards for them to be able to shop w/o purchasing their own membership makes the non-member an opportunist and a user. You want to avail yourself of the special pricing and products at Costco, buy yourself a membership.

ITA! - {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor
On 11/6/2014 cece5231 said: Wow, A little touchy...and judgemental? I didn't read in the post that DiamondGirly was asking for comment. Just sharing a practice which others might not be aware and might be able to take advantage of. That's what this forum does....shares. Wow!

Darn tootin', I'm going to speak up when someone posts in a way that sounds like she's advocating trying to get away with something. Bolding "without being a member" and then proceeding to tell how to get away with it is offensive to every person that shops at Costco honestly by purchasing an annual membership.

Regular Contributor
Jean Louise Finch. Different interpretation. I guess. I thought she was sharing, you thought she was advocating. Guess I don't judge what people post. Enjoy your evening.
Esteemed Contributor

No one is being judgmental.

My Mom and I were going to trade BJ's and Costco cards. Since my Dad shops separately from my Mom (as opposed to my husband, who shops with me), I told Mom that I would do the trial to see if it was a place where I would shop.

When I went to print out the pass, I noticed the 15% surcharge. I ended up getting the membership.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor

It's one thing if a Costco member voluntarily gives someone a Costco gift card or buys them for their OWN children to use if they live away from home, but for a non-member to ask the member to repeatedly buy them gift cards for them to be able to shop w/o purchasing their own membership makes the non-member an opportunist and a user. You want to avail yourself of the special pricing and products at Costco, buy yourself a membership.

That was my first thought exactly. It is riding on the backs of us who do have memberships. That would make our membership cost go up.

Esteemed Contributor

Soushi, that's interesting. How would our membership cost increase? Don't forget, the nonmembers would pay a surcharge.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor
On 11/7/2014 Soushi24 said:

That was my first thought exactly. It is riding on the backs of us who do have memberships. That would make our membership cost go up.

How is it going to raise our membership rates? Most people who are smart get the executive which gives you a rebate anyway. So Costco isn't even keeping my membership money, I get it back at the end of the year and then some. We had a business membership for many years until they introduced the executive membership.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

less members would cause the rest of us to pay more, that is my guess

Honored Contributor

if you are looking for a robe, Costco just got in the Carole Hochman fluffy full-length robe again...I bought one last year and it is the best robe I have ever worn; warm, soft, but lightweight. Just $19.99 and free shipping; I am going to pick up another one for myself tomorrow...the sizing info on the website is all wrong so don't go by that info.