Valued Contributor

I wasn't sure how many people know that it's possible to shop at Costco without being a member! You just ask someone with a Costco membership to purchase you Cash Cards! (Like a gift certificate/card) This is a great gift, also...and also great if the kids are away at college, etc...to allow them access to Costco deals.

At Costco.com, it says:

"You must be a Costco member to purchase or reload Costco Cash Cards. Members and non-members may use the cash cards to shop at any Costco location in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and online at Costco.com or on Costco.ca. Costco Cash balances may be used toward membership or merchandise."

Honored Contributor

It's one thing if a Costco member voluntarily gives someone a Costco gift card or buys them for their OWN children to use if they live away from home, but for a non-member to ask the member to repeatedly buy them gift cards for them to be able to shop w/o purchasing their own membership makes the non-member an opportunist and a user. You want to avail yourself of the special pricing and products at Costco, buy yourself a membership.

Honored Contributor

Well it's basically free anyway if you shop there regularly. I get more back in my yearly rebate than my membership costs. Personally I wouldn't want to be dealing with customer service and standing in line on a regular basis to purchase someone gift cards because they are too lazy to just get a membership.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor
On 11/6/2014 jaxs mom said:

Well it's basically free anyway if you shop there regularly. I get more back in my yearly rebate than my membership costs. Personally I wouldn't want to be dealing with customer service and standing in line on a regular basis to purchase someone gift cards because they are too lazy to just get a membership.

Exactly. I get every bit of my renewal covered, and then some, via the Costco Rebate.

Regular Contributor
Wow, A little touchy...and judgemental? I didn't read in the post that DiamondGirly was asking for comment. Just sharing a practice which others might not be aware and might be able to take advantage of. That's what this forum does....shares. Wow!
Valued Contributor

LOL.....I love the people on this thread - I just came back to say that some people may think this is not a good idea.... Costco allows it - I am thinking that people may not be able to get the coupon/discount deals with just a cash card. I notice they don't call it a GIFT CARD..?

I thought it might also be a good way to "test" out Costco to see if one wants to become a member - I read further to see that they CAN get a one-time pass...but have to use cash, so that might be better. There can be a 5% surcharge added, too!

*Thanks, cece5231 - I don't blame people for being defensive, especially if they've PAID for their membership!! I guess it's tough to police continual casual visits with cash cards...

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/6/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

It's one thing if a Costco member voluntarily gives someone a Costco gift card or buys them for their OWN children to use if they live away from home, but for a non-member to ask the member to repeatedly buy them gift cards for them to be able to shop w/o purchasing their own membership makes the non-member an opportunist and a user. You want to avail yourself of the special pricing and products at Costco, buy yourself a membership.

I agree with you, JLF!

Just buy the membership. It pays for itself in savings alone!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

If all a person were really going to buy at Costco were very small, this "cheat" may save money. However, if you pay with a gift card, you get no discount.

I'm not even a big Costco buyer and my 1% cash back plus the fact that my AmEx via Costco pays me 3% back on gas purchases (anywhere that takes AmEx) and 25 back on restaurants and travel, my card is more than paid for by my cash back.

Honored Contributor
On 11/6/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 11/6/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I agree with you, JLF!

Just buy the membership. It pays for itself in savings alone!

I used to know someone who wanted me to take her there but didn't want to buy the membership. I think I did it once. If you want to shop there join

Trusted Contributor

Thanks! That is good to know! I had no idea!

ETA, after seeing some were not happy about this (people not paying for a membership and shopping there) that I would not buy a membership there simply because I do not have one very close to me. I might go there once a year, if that. I have a BJ's Warehouse only a few minutes away and have a membership there.

I also see now that it may not be that great if you have to pay a surcharge and do not get the discounts.