Respected Contributor

I found mine at a local antique mall. $12 for a 2qt square fish with lid. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Corning Casseroles

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I broke my 3qt and really miss it.  I've looked at them on eBay but they're ridiculously expensive.  I bought one from Corning.  It's very attractive but don't like the shape of it.

@Kachina624 

ebay $20.00.  Smiley Happy

Vintage CORNING 3 Quart SPICE of LIFE Casserole Dish with Lid. image 0

Honored Contributor

The most important thing to know, when buying Corning Ware pieces is to make sure you are getting the older ones made of Pyroceram, and not the newer ones that are Chinese-made stoneware.

They are remarkably different.

The good thing is that it's easy to find the older stuff and way more often than not you can find them in brand new condition, even on ebay and sites such as that.

A lot of them will take a pic of the bottom (outside bottom) where you see the completely shiny bottom that is slightly rounded around the edge.  The ones that are the newer ones have the type of bottom you see on stoneware.  It's not shiny and there is a raw edge.  Plus, it says 'Stoneware' and 'Made in China' on the bottom.

I have quite a few pieces of the French White and French Black, all Pyroceram and they will last lifetimes.  Yes, multiple lifetimes.   They stay pristine.   Many of mine are decades old and still look and perform as brand new.   Plus, they are more attractive than the stoneware ones.

Just an FYI from the peanut gallery.  Smiley Happy  Happy day to all.

Valued Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

Love my Corningware.  Spice Of Life pattern.  

I have this pattern too. I love it. My first MIL gave it to me for Christmas one year.  Then another year she gave me the Visions pots.  I still have all of it.  The pots are an amber color.  Years later, when my second MIL passed away, I received all of her Spice of Life Corning pieces.  I now have quite a few.   I need to use them more often.  I have the SOL on display in my kitchen.

Respected Contributor

Whiile doing research for my novel, I found information on lead, cadmium, and arsenic in dishes and bakeware/ cookware from the not-too-distant past. I also came across this response to a blogger from Corelle Brands.

image.png

Respected Contributor

One of my favorite outlet mall stores back in the 80's & 90's were the Corning Ware outlets.  I could spend hours puttering around in there.  Are any of them still open?

Respected Contributor

Re: Corning Casseroles

[ Edited ]

I was fortunate (?) enough to have a few Corning pieces received as shower gifts, and then more after my mother's and 2 MIL's passings.  Kept them all, and could start my own "old" Corning store.

Another funny - said 1/2 hour ago to my DH  (needing an umbrella to get the mail in the rain), that two things I always keep after a parent's passing is umbrellas and scissors.  He laughed and said he always uses his mother's Humane Society umbrella from his car.  Guess, in a way, it keeps them close to us through insignificant objects.

Maybe I should add Corningware to my list! Woman Happy

Denise
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi    Yikes, you'd better buy ice cream and SIT on it.  I hope we don't have power interruptions like we did several years ago when we had a heat wave and the demand was high.  It's just a puny 103° here today.  My swamp cooler is working great, it's 70° in the house.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment