Frequent Contributor

Re: Corned Beef What Did I do Wrong?

Having cooked corned beef for about 50 years, mostly flat cut, and in many different Dutch ovens, slow cookers, even in the smoker; there's no better method than in a pressure cooker.

set to high pressure for 50-60 minutes with the corned beef just covered in water with spices. After which time, remove meat and cover with foil. Add your veggies, (potatoes, carrots, cabbage, etc) and cook on high for 5 minutes more.

Cut meat cross grain and enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Hubby says his friend made really good brisket on the grill by burning it black. He suggested I try this with corned beef. I didn't.

Respected Contributor

I don't know if anyone actually answered what you did wrong but 2 hours is not enough time on the stove at all. Simmer for 6-7 hours or even in a pressure cooker we are about 1-1/2 hours for a 4 lb flat cut.

Low and slow and letting it rest after cooking then cutting with a good sharp knife against the grain of the meat to avoid shredding.

This is one piece of meat that takes time if using the stove or slow cooker method.

Honored Contributor

Pressure cooker or slow cooker, but not boiling or oven roasting. Long, slow cooking.
Respected Contributor

If you carve the cb against the grain it will be very stringy and tough and you can hardly chew it. If you carve with the grain it very tender
Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much for all the ideas and advice . One of these days I might try it again but not for a while, the picture of the rock hard CB going into the trash is still vivid in my mind{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Super Contributor

She must have bought a cheap cut/brand and overcooked it by boiling it.

I always buy the same brand every year - Freirich and simmer it for 3 hours, it comes out perfect.

Honored Contributor

My DH started cooking ours at noon - boiled it til 5PM.
Frequent Contributor

I buy the flat cut and cook in the crockpot all day on low. Add some bay leaves and pepper corns. A few hours before eating, I add potatoes. An hour before eating I add the cabbage. Turns out great every time.
Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2014 mcall1020 said: If you carve the cb against the grain it will be very stringy and tough and you can hardly chew it. If you carve with the grain it very tender

i have never heard of cutting it with the grain......we have ALWAYS cut it against the grain AND hold the knife at a slight angle. cutting it with the grain will cause it to be tough.

here are some great tips about choosing, cooking, and slicing/serving a corned beef.

http://blog.cleveland.com/lifestyles/2008/03/_for_great_corned_beef.html

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein