Valued Contributor

Corned Beef What Did I do Wrong?

Family member made us some CB and cabbage ., well the corned beef was so tough we couldn't eat eat so I put it in a pot and boiled it for 2 hrs still couldn't eat so put it in the oven for a couple of hours and it was like shoe leather worse that beef jerky. She bought the most expensive cut thinking it would be the best. I am bewildered so any suggestions ?. We have cooked it before but never was this tough . Needless to say it went into the trash can, I wouldn't even to try to give it to my dog a little bit at a time. You would think after 65 yrs of cooking I would know better oh well.....

Trusted Contributor

Re: Corned Beef What Did I do Wrong?

Don't think you are supposed to boil it for hours....my directions said bring to boil then simmer for 3 hrs or so.... I usually simmer for longer.Slice against the grain.It came out delicious .....it was Nathan's brand.
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply Genny1

Honored Contributor

I cooked 2 corned beef rounds (the more expensive cut) in my crock pot on LOW for 8 hours. It came out perfect. The rounds had virtually no fat like the corned beef brisket I use to buy.

Last year, we cooked 3...one on the stove simmering, one in the crock, one in the smoker.

Had everyone vote. Unanimous for the crock pot method. Most tender by far. Slow and LOW was the winner. No boiling.

So sorry yours did not come out!

Honored Contributor

On another board people were saying that the end cuts are tougher and need to cook much longer than the general directions. People were cooking them in the oven for 6-7 hours (or a crock pot).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I just bought a piece of corned beef yesterday. A cut of meat like this I go right to the crockpot to slow cook all day. Hubby & I have done this before and it came out perfectly. Can't wait to make corned beef & cabbage/kraut with potatoes as well yummy sandwiches.

Contributor

The best cut is the flat cut. I usually just put it in a 9x13 pan and fill it about 1/2 up the meat with water. Cover and I cooked ours in a 350-375 oven for about 3.5 hours. Came out perfectly.

Honored Contributor

I have never made corned beef, but I would have to agree that low and slow does it. Fast and boiling will make it tough, as it did.

Sorry it came out badly but two hours of boiling probably pretty much any meat will make it tough.

What I'd do is any browning on medium heat, then either stove top or oven simmering in a nice, preferably Le Creuset (good quality non-Chinese made enameled cast iron pot) French oven on a low heat - 325F or less in the oven. I usually start my oven simmering out around 325F, then reduce the heat a couple of times over the period of several hours.

Regular Contributor

When you cooked it on the oven, did you have water in the pan??

Jerz

Honored Contributor

I always get my corned beef at Trader Joe's (they only carry it around St. Patrick's Day). Put it in baking dish in oven with water half way up, cover with foil and bake for about 3 hours at 350. Always wonderful.