Honored Contributor

Corn Beef & Cabbage - Anyone have a easy recipe ?

I want to make this for a good friend of mine, yet, I don't want to buy the
"pickling spices" needed for the recipes I've found. I'll probably never use them again (or at least until next year!). And I don't have "slow cooker" yet have LeCrueset style large dutch oven.

Is there a easy recipe ... I'm just a rueben sandwich lover (with corn beef) and haven't made corn beef & cabbage. Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Corn Beef & Cabbage - Anyone have a easy recipe ?

When you buy the cornED beef, it comes with the packet of spices. Just boil for a long time on the stove. Instructions come in with the meat.

Honored Contributor

There are some posted on Recipe Swap.

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 baileysue said:

When you buy the cornED beef, it comes with the packet of spices. Just boil for a long time on the stove. Instructions come in with the meat.

Really I guess that was important to point out -- thank you!
Super Contributor

This was on the Today Show and sounds relatively easy. I think I'm going to try it. The only thing I'm going to skip is the butter that you would add to the broth in the end.

Corn beef and cabbage
Serves 4

· 3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet

· 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces

· 10 small red potatoes

· 1 small rutabaga

· 1 large head cabbage, cut into small wedges

· 1 stick butter

· Thyme

· Bay leaf

Place corned beef in large pot and cover with water. Add the spice packet that comes with the corned beef, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 1 hour per pound or until tender.

Add potatoes, rutabaga and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove meat and let rest 15 minutes. Place vegetables in a bowl. Slice meat across the grain and drape over the vegetables. Add butter to broth and stir till melted, ladle over the vegetables and meat. Garnish with parsley.

Honored Contributor

Just follow the directions on the bag.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I use a tea ball for the pickling spice so it doesn't get everywhere. If you already bought the pickling spice, you can use it to boil shrimp in beer. That's pretty good.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

http://m.cafemom.com/groups/read_topic.php?group_id=112067&topic_id=16159008

This recipe is from Reynolds-and their photo, also. It's very easy.

Corned Beef and Cabbage:

One 2 1/2 lb corned beef, and I used a point cut as I think it is most flavorful and do not mind trimming it.

1 Reynolds® Oven Bag, Large Size

1 tablespoon flour

1/2 cup water

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 head cabbage, cut in 6 wedges

1 large onion, cut in 6 wedges

3 large carrots, cut in half crosswise and then lengthwise

I also added some round new potatoes and left the skins on.

Directions:

PREHEAT oven to 350°F.

SHAKE flour in Reynolds Oven Bag; place in 13x9-inch baking pan. Add water to oven bag. Squeeze bag to blend in flour.

ADD beef to bag, fat side up. Sprinkle allspice, salt and pepper over meat. Place vegetables around beef.

CLOSE oven bag with nylon tie; cut six 1/2-inch slits in top.

BAKE 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until fork-tender. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove and toss top leaf from cabbage.

Slice beef and serve with vegetables and meat juices.

TIP: If a seasoning packet is included in your corned beef package, substitute it for the allspice, salt and pepper.

Many decades ago when I began experimenting with various cuts of Corned beef and different methods to cook it, I immediately ruled out boiled or simmered in liquid on the stove top. Tasted not to our liking at all. All the nutrients were boiled out of the meat and it was not flavorful or as tender as it should have been. Also it was quite salty.

I love preparing it in the oven for a variety of reasons all explained in this post.

I always boiled out the salt from corned beef by bringing it to a boil with clean water twice. Then used my preferred cooking method.

If I use my own seasonings I use them in a locked stainless steel tea strainer which holds them in safely, and when dropped into the food gently flavors it with the taste of the seasonings but does not allow those tiny seasonings to go directly into the food, causing problems with dental work.

The meat steams until it has tenderized and becomes fork tender when cooking it in a Reynolds Oven bag, same with covering with aluminum foil, poking some slits in it and allowing it to cook low and slow in the oven.

Both methods above really product a succulent well steamed very tender delicious tasting piece of meat, and can be used with most meat recipes when one is selling heavenly cooking perfection.

When you place it in water you are removing all the nutrients out of it which is not the pro way to cook any corned beef.

"The Secrets to Good Corned Beef"

http://blog.cleveland.com/lifestyles/2008/03/_for_great_corned_beef.html

Braising is the effective way to tenderize such meat.

But even though it's commonly called a "boiled dinner," boiling, per se, is ineffective.

"That basically cooks the outside but not the inside," says Kreiger.

Hard boiling can result in an even tougher corned-beef brisket.

"Certain things, like corned beef or spare ribs, you just don't boil if you want texture and flavor," says Jaworski.

He cooks his corned beef in a roasting pan to which he has added water to a depth of about one-fourth the thickness of the meat, then covers the pan tightly with foil and bakes it in a 325-degree oven for 2 to 3½ hours, depending on the size and thickness of the brisket.

"You're steaming it that way, not boiling out the flavor," Jaworski says.

Herskovitz favors the popular oven cooking bags, which trap the brisket's large amount of brine as it's released, thus allowing the meat to simmer in those flavorful juices.

Kreiger prefers submerging the corned beef in a bath of simmering water, which may be seasoned.

The usual onions, potatoes, carrots and cabbage can be added midway through cooking.

I believe experimenting is the key to find a personal preference. Also slicing it should not be a chore.

You can refrigerate the cooked corned beef overnight in well sealed aluminum foil, and then make lovely think slices for serving or sandwiches the next day if preferred, or you can allow it to cook, remove from cooking vessel. Keep covered with foil for about 30 minutes, and then carefully trim excess fat, and slice across the grain.

I never cared for pressure cooked corned beef at all, and neither did my guests or family.

Some things turn out great in the pressure cooker, but in my personal experience corned beef is cooked to death in a pressure cooker, and the flavor is lacking in this method of cooking, but that is my personal preference........Others may prefer it, I do not.

I hope everyone experiments with Corned beef recipes and finds their favorite method, and enjoys the results.

Cooking should never feel intimidating, and should be an enjoyable effort with delicious appreciated results.

Honored Contributor

Just wanted to thank you guys for the recipes but I'm not doing it now. Tonight I had my friend for dinner -- I made his fav comfort food: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, cornbread, fresh asparagus. I have to say it was "delicious" and enjoyed by all of us vs. trying out a new recipe that only he eats! Happy St. Patty's Day to those who will enjoy CornED Beef and Cabbage!
Respected Contributor

Corned Beef and Cabbage Zhills

Ingredients

4 slices bacon
4 tablespoon butter
1 head green cabbage, coarsely chopped but not real small pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 can corned beef

I also put some potatoes in this cutting them into bite size pieces.

Directions

Cook the bacon in large pot over medium heat until almost crisp. Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside. Melt the butter in the pot with the bacon grease. Add the cabbage, stirring well to coat the cabbage in fat. Add about 1/3 cup water, and salt and pepper, to taste. Add potatoes here. Cover pot with a lid, and cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, chop the bacon into small pieces.

Remove the lid from the pot, and scatter chunks of corned beef and chopped bacon over top of the cabbage. Cover and cook until desired doneness. I personally like a little bit of crunch left to the cabbage.

I made an improvised version of this a couple of nights ago. I used pantry items and it was very good. I had a leftover baked potato...so I chopped it up, added a small can of
sliced carrots and cooked a couple of minutes in bacon grease (I keep in frig). I added 1/2 a small head of cabbage and put the cut up corned beef on top. Just put a top on the skillet and let it cook. Needed to add water a couple of times. When the cabbage was tender, everything was ready. Really tasty...will make again. Quick and tasty..my kind of recipe Zhills