Trusted Contributor

Re: Corelle or similar brands

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@K9buddy  Mom had Corelle in plain white for everyday use. They were great dishes! After we sent her dishes to charity, I wanted new dishes and couldn't find the Corelle plain white.

Found some similar dishes at Pier I that I'm very pleased with. Also, found some dishes with lavender and green on them! Perfect for spring family brunches. Bought both sets. 

@BirkiLady 

What does your mom think about you giving her Corelle away?

FWIW, look on eBay or flea markets if your mom wants replacements.  All white is difficult to find these days.  I have a setting for eight for everyday use.

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

About 20 years ago I bought 3 sets of Corelle because I wanted service for 12.I use them for everyday.I love them. They have a very subtle pink & gray floral pattern on a white background. They never chip & look new.

I purchased them in a Corelle Corning outlet store.I’ve added a gravy boat & 2 serving platters over the years.A few years ago I dropped one & it broke.I was able to replace it as the store had open stock items for sale. My pattern has since been discontinued. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@EatWell wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@K9buddy  Mom had Corelle in plain white for everyday use. They were great dishes! After we sent her dishes to charity, I wanted new dishes and couldn't find the Corelle plain white.

Found some similar dishes at Pier I that I'm very pleased with. Also, found some dishes with lavender and green on them! Perfect for spring family brunches. Bought both sets. 

@BirkiLady 

What does your mom think about you giving her Corelle away?

FWIW, look on eBay or flea markets if your mom wants replacements.  All white is difficult to find these days.  I have a setting for eight for everyday use.

Good luck.

@EatWell  My mom passed away in July, 2017.

I don't buy from ebay or flea markets. If you read my post, you would have noticed I purchased new dishes for myself (and my family) at Pier I. I didn't want white dishes; just new dishes. And I found exactly what I liked for family brunches. I use different sets of dishes for various seasons, types of meals, guests, etc. Sounds like you only have one or two sets of dishes. I have many complete sets with serving pieces to match.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Contributor

I like Corelle. They're not heavy on the wrists and aren't overly fragile. They have really nice colors on their website if you don't like something in store. 

Super Contributor

Sorry, I don't know of any other brands that are even similar and certainly not of the same quality. I love my Corelle Quilt  pattern, long discontinued. Got it to replace dinnerware lost in an earthquake in 1994. Have been using it ever since. Have added a few pieces of plain white. 

I would like to have a few pieces of Fiesta dinnerware but now have so little storage space. The lightweight Corelle works much better, and I really love my old Quilt pattern.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I just happened to notice in the Shop Rite ad I got today, that they are selling Corelle dishes for $1.99 each. They listed a number of different patterns.

If anyone needs to replace any dishes.

Frequent Contributor

I just recently picked up plain white Corelle pasta bowls.  I just love them.  They are great for rice and pasta dishes.  I think they were 6 for $11.  They are perfect!

Respected Contributor

We took a drive up to our local outlet mall today and came home with a service for 8 set of Corelle dinnerware, made up from open stock, so we could get exactly what we use all the time.  Dinner, salad and bread&butter plates, side dish and soup/cereal bowls and pasta dishes.  I think the pattern is called "Provincial Blue".  Also got a large square Cornflower casserole and glass lid to replace my two casseroles I'll be donating.  Bit by bit, I am going to collect up all the huge stash of Pfaltzgraff stoneware I have from our cupboards, my china closet, etc., and take them all to our local humane society's thrift shop to donate it all.  It's just too heavy, it chips to easily, and it has a rimmed design that takes up too much room in the dishwasher.  I expect to be able to switch from running the dishwasher every night to running it every other night, simply by being able to fit the thinner, lighter Corelle plates, etc., closer together.  I've had that Pfaltzgraff Heirloom stoneware for over 30 years, since before DH and I were married, but my arms and hands are 30+ years older as well, and I can't stand the weight any more.

Respected Contributor

I have been using my Lenox Butterfly Meadow for everyday dishes for at least 5 years now and they are very thin, lightweight even though they are porcelain. I think I have broken two plates over that time, mainly from dropping on tile. Duh! I think Lenox has other patterns in the same material.