Super Contributor

Copper Chef pans and olive oil?

I have read that you should not use oilve oil in CC pans because it will cause the pans nonstick to stop working. I see in their own recipes they call for olive oil in some recipes. Has anyone used olive oil still had a good nonstick surface? It seems loss of nonstick is a problem for many with these pans.

Regular Contributor

Re: Copper Chef pans and olive oil?

I have a Copper Chef small grill pan which I bought from QVC but is no longer listed online.  I used olive oil all the time as I pre heat the pan before putting lamb chops, pork chops or burgers into the pan.  I have had absolutely no problems with the pan losing its non stick properties and cleanup is very, very easy.

I think the problem is if people use Pam or other non stick sprays.  I only use EVOO dispensed from a regular bottle. 

I wish the Q would make that grill pan available again, especially in a larger size. I'd buy another for myself and several for family gifts.

Occasional Contributor

I have a few cooper pans and love them.  I have used olive oil in my fry pan, not much though....but you really do not need it....nothing sticks in these pans at all!  they are great! 

Honored Contributor

I have several pieces of copper chef pans and use olive oil when the recipe calls for it.  I don't use it as a non-stick since you don't need any non-stick additive when using copper chef.  I've had them over a year, and they are still as non-stick today as ever.  I love them!

The only caution with olive oils is when using the copper chef at high heat (i.e., searing meats), since the olive oil will rapidly burn in the pan.  But that goes for all pans that can take very high heat.   

Super Contributor

I am so glad to hear this. I use a small amount of olive oil for most dishes. I ordered the CC TSV yesterday and this is my first CC purchase. Late in the day I was too tempted to let this pass.

Respected Contributor

•  The Cerami-Tech coating does not require the use of butter or cooking oil. If you choose to use oil or butter, we recommend oil or butter with a high smoke point: refined olive oil, peanut oil, corn oil and (clarified) butter. •  Do not use extra virgin olive oil or oil sprays. They cannot withstand high heating and will leave a thin carbonized layer on the non-stick coating.

This is from the use and care link on the info page.