Respected Contributor

Re: Cookware: Hard Anodized or Stainless Steel?

Here is an example of what I bought (20 years ago). Cuisinart Chef's Classic 7 piece set. There are larger sets, and lots of individual pieces, too.

Cuisinart 77-7 Chef's Classic Stainless 7-Piece Cookware Set

Honored Contributor

I still use my Farberware (bought when I got married over 40 years ago).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Frequent Contributor

I favor good stainless steel over hard anodized having complete sets of both, but...I can use my stainless steel on my induction burners, sitting at the kitchen table. Can't use anodized aluminum on that.

Still, my favorite cookware is my cast iron and enameled cast iron, (both of which on the PIC). Sure its heavy, but I'm a big guy and have no problems handling the weight. I love all my different enameled cast iron dutch ovens, my cast iron fry pans, skillets, chicken fryers, etc., but my favorite plain cast iron comals, both large and small, get used frequently to make tortillas, pita's and other flatbreads.

Plain cast iron does have to be well seasoned to be appreciated. enameled doesn't need seasoning. Both are heavy, and as far as I'm concerned, better than either stainless or hard anodized. Although they all have their uses.

I see more and more "deals" being offered on Hard Anodized as m'f'g seem to be trying to unload their stockpiles, as induction cooking seems to be catching on more.

Whatever you use,

Enjoy!

Camo

Respected Contributor

I much prefer hard anodized, better quality.

Esteemed Contributor

I got to worrying so much about chemicals that I switched over to stainless. Love it. I find it satisfying to give it a good scrub and make it all clean. My mom always had some and after years of use they were all burnished and had a soft shine. Maybe that is why I like it.

Honored Contributor

I have both and like them equally, I also use cast iron.

Honored Contributor

I much prefer stainless over hard anodized. I think clad stainless like All-Clad is the best thing since sliced bread! I like my cast iron Le Creuset too, but if I had to choose it would be stainless all the way. Learn how to cook on it, don't overheat but heat it adequately, learn to brown meats in it, and it is great! It is a great investment when you buy the pieces you really need.

Honored Contributor

I would go for either one as long as there was no nonstick. I have a few pieces of the hard anodized and stainless . With the stainless, there is no special tools needed and altho the metal tools will leave a mark on the anodized, they can be used. I am looking into the ceramic non stick too. My pots/pans are Tefal and cook essentials stainless but have the non stick that is starting to peel and that aren't very nonstick anymore due to using a cooking spray. And not thrilled with all the bad stuff about heating that non stick too high. Not a fan of the porcelain cast iron either. Too heavy and it chips so easily.

Trusted Contributor

I love my Calphalon Contemporary hard anondized. Good because you can put them in dishwasher,nothing sticks,and they are oven safe to 450. Got rid of stainless when we bought these.