Respected Contributor

Cooking for Company/ Guests....do you get nervous?

I am cooking Italian for our company tonight.  (Bucatini)  I always get a bit nervous which is nuts since I have been cooking for years and I am considered a good cook....by my husband, anyway. Smiley Wink

I really think getting a tiny bit nervous is good....keeps me on my toes. 

Do you get nervous cooking for company or are you calm as a cucumber?

Respected Contributor

Re: Cooking for Company/ Guests....do you get nervous?

The only company I got nervous about was my MIL.  She was always very judgemental with everyone. She has since past.  I prefer serving company in the Summer and use the grill. Everything seems to turn out good on the grill.  Enjoy your dinner and company. Sounds good to me. 

Respected Contributor

@Regal Bee You are not alone! I've been cooking since I'm 12 (a long time ago, another lifetime😬) and everyone loves my cooking. They always ask me to cook for them. My daughter, is a better cook than I. She was thinking of becoming a chef but decided to be a lawyer instead but she always finds time to cook.  I am always a little nervous when I cook for people. I think a little of that is in all of us. Maybe , that's what makes us better. We want to please and if we do, that validates us! Especially, cooking for others. As good as we might be, we always want approval. I think mostly everyone does in one way or another. I'm sure your dinner will be great. If you didn't care, it probably wouldn't be good. So work hard but find a way to enjoy yourself. I'm sure the dinner and you will be great!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

I don't know if I would use the word nervous, but, I do get a little anxious whenever I have guests for brunch, dinner, etc. I think it's that I want everything to go well. I always hope everyone enjoys themselves when they come to visit. I think a little nervous energy is natural. Hope all goes well tonight!

Honored Contributor

A little bit, and I shouldn't because the people we have over aren't a fussy bunch.

Honored Contributor

No and I should. One time I was having a dinner party and decided to make turkey breast stuffed with ricotta cheese and spinach. I had no idea how hard it was to debone a turkey  and it took more time than I allotted to prepare the meal.. To make a long story short, the meat turned out great, I was able to serve everything on time and everyone raved about it. I never made that dish again though.

Respected Contributor

Yes indeed, I do get a bit nervous when I cook.  I know what my family loves but when we have friends over it is especially stressful.  We do most of our entertaining in the summer.  My husband is the grillmiester and he is also a good cook.  I don't touch the grill though.  That's his baby.  I do the sides and desserts.

Honored Contributor

I always serve a recipe that I have made many times and it always goes well. I have had far too many recipes that were dudes with my own family. So I make sure I cook something that is a winner. And then I don't have to worry. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, very much so.

For me it's the timing.  Getting everything to the table while it's hot is a stressor.

After that I just relax and enjoy my guests.

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee ..be sure to let us know how it went and maybe include the recipe.I have never had that dish.