Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking and oven odors --- need some help!

@J Town Girl wrote:

I have an air purifier that is amazing for removing odors.    We eat salmon because it's really healthy but I cannot tolerate the odor that seems to permeate the entire kitchen.  

I turn the purifier on and within just a very short time you can't tell that I had ever prepared salmon.  

My purifier is a Kenmore and although it was somewhat expensive I believe it was money well spent.   It has a Hepa filter and also a removable filter.   It is large but it really doesn't seem out of place or conspicuous in my dining room.  

Like you, I also seem to be more sensitive to odors.   I can barely walk through a candle aisle or go into a florist shop without the scents making me feel queasy.   

I wanted to add that I don't use the purifier only when cooking.   I also turn it on to help freshen the air throughout the house.  

@J Town Girl

This might be what I will have to turn to.  Did you get this unit here?  If so, would you mind printing the number of it?  Thank you! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

* I love fresh air, so even in the winter, so I air the house every day.

* My mother often put out a small bowl of ammonia in the kitchen, and I don't recall any lingering odors.

* My aunt loves her tabletop air cleaner/filter. 

@libbyannE

I love fresh air, too, but was told to use the air conditioning more since outdoor air brings in more things to cause breathing issues.  

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Moso Natural Air Purifying Bag from Amazon: MIRACULOUS!

@insomniac2

Thanks for this, I will look it up!!! 

Honored Contributor

Vinegar is supposed to remove odors, but it has a rather unpleasant scent in and of itself.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1:  Thanks to its exclusive patented burner, the lampe Berger purifies and perfumes the air in enclosed spaces like no other system. Indeed, this diffusion by catalysis truly destroys the molecules responsible for undesirable smells. In this way, perfuming is fast, consistent and long-lasting in a room even when it is large in .

Lampe Berger 113604 Cube Red lamp - Cube RedLamps

Lampe Berger Fragrance - So Neutral Oil - 33.8 Ounce with FREE FunnelOil

Google it, fantastic results.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Open your windows!  I sleep with my bedroom window open every night of the year, even when it got down to -14°.

OMG ! aren't you afraid of home invaders ? Heat would come on , plus, you would catch pneumonia.  My windows won't even open. Modern homes they figure your not gonna be opening them especially in dirty Tx.  

We put interchangable screen /glass door on front door and patio door for wind blowing probaly dirt blowing in too LOL I mop constantly , though.

@Kachina624   by the way I got my own evaporative cooler thru Q that personal space cooler that blows out to 6 feet.

Esteemed Contributor

Rabbit Air - $369 - it 'turns over' your room air from sour to fresh spring every hour.  Three filters - HEPA - pre screen and charcoal which absorbs odors.  Not cheap but last for years.  I have 3 of them in my house - kills flu bugs & animal / cooking smells.   Free shipping   On their website or Amazon.  quiet - just leave it running.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a ton of allergies, brathing problems and scent sensitivities and swear by hepa air purifiers. (stand alone units or whole house systems) I have both. They come in many sizes but I prefer one that has a hepa permanent filter and a pre filter than can be washed. I like to have a timer on it and a few options for speed and mode. This does wonders for cooking odors like oils , spicy foods or fried foods.  I won't be without one near the kitchen , 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I am very sensitive to odors and as I get older, am getting even worse!  I notice that odors produced in the kitchen - whether it be from hot oil, things done in the oven, etc., really bother me, as these smells seem to linger, especially throughout the night.

Both DH and I have lung issues so we cannot tolerate sprays or candles that have strong artiticial scents that mask and cover up these odors.

Is there anything that one can use to help clear the air of these smells without heavy scents and chemicals?

We have a very small house and once an odor starts it seems to permeate the whole place quickly!

Thanks so much for your help!  

I would check my ventilation system to make sure it is not blocked in some way on the outside. You may need to get a stronger one particularly if yours has quite a bit of age on it.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Have you tried air filters? 

They can be kind of big and in the way, but perhaps that would help some?

@Mominohio

I'm not sure I know what you mean??  Sorry, don't mean to be dense.  Do you mean like a free standing air purifier?  

Yes, something like that! Some have filters you wash, some you replace, and others have the ones that wipe clean. 

They used to sell them a lot here on the Q.

@AngelPuppy1