Trusted Contributor

Re: Cookie exchanges. Anyone do them?

I know that, with our one at work, she's a little fussy, but I think that's why it works. She would like to know ahead of time, who is bringing what; that way, we don't have several people bringing the same thing. And she tells newcomers right out that you must make your own cookies (and not from store-bought dough) and that holiday-type cookies are expected. If people have questions, they can ask her. She's very careful. She doesn't mind cut-out sugar cookies, but they can't be from packaged refrigerated dough.

I usually do rolled-out cookies that I've decorated. Sometimes I'll do a spritz cookie, but since they're smaller cookies, I'll contribute more than a dozen. And they're decorated, too. I've made snowflakes from sugar cookie dough (my own, not packaged) and then put some snowflakes together with a chocolate frosting and edible glitter.

Somebody mentioned candy. I make almond brittle every year. Last year, instead of bringing an extra dozen cookies for the table, I brought a batch of almond brittle and a batch of seasoned pecans. They were a big hit.

Our family exchange is a little less formal. We do like to know ahead of time what people are bringing, again, so we don't have the same cookie. But pretty much any kind of cookie is OK, as long as there's no packaged dough; that's pretty much our only rule. I know that I'm making the snowflakes that I mentioned above. My nephew's GF's mother is making candy cane cookies. My niece is making chocolate pretzel cookies. And so on.

Debc, are those pictures from a party you had? They are such pretty cookies!

Super Contributor

All of the cookie exchanges I've been involved in have been with smaller groups of people. You know in advance how many people would participate and you bring a dozen cookies for each. If there are 11 people besides yourself, you bring 11 dozen, already boxed or bagged. So, you go home with the same quantity you brought.

Trusted Contributor

I went to one once and it was wasted on me as I don't care for many types of cookies. I'm kind of plain that way. If you like many cookies I think it can be a great thing. I like the idea someone mentioned of packing them individually. They didn't have that at the party I went to and you brought the cookies home mixed together and the flavors transferred. Yuck. I think you'd probably have fun.

Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

I know that, with our one at work, she's a little fussy, but I think that's why it works. She would like to know ahead of time, who is bringing what; that way, we don't have several people bringing the same thing. And she tells newcomers right out that you must make your own cookies (and not from store-bought dough) and that holiday-type cookies are expected. If people have questions, they can ask her. She's very careful. She doesn't mind cut-out sugar cookies, but they can't be from packaged refrigerated dough.

I usually do rolled-out cookies that I've decorated. Sometimes I'll do a spritz cookie, but since they're smaller cookies, I'll contribute more than a dozen. And they're decorated, too. I've made snowflakes from sugar cookie dough (my own, not packaged) and then put some snowflakes together with a chocolate frosting and edible glitter.

Somebody mentioned candy. I make almond brittle every year. Last year, instead of bringing an extra dozen cookies for the table, I brought a batch of almond brittle and a batch of seasoned pecans. They were a big hit.

Our family exchange is a little less formal. We do like to know ahead of time what people are bringing, again, so we don't have the same cookie. But pretty much any kind of cookie is OK, as long as there's no packaged dough; that's pretty much our only rule. I know that I'm making the snowflakes that I mentioned above. My nephew's GF's mother is making candy cane cookies. My niece is making chocolate pretzel cookies. And so on.

Debc, are those pictures from a party you had? They are such pretty cookies!

I can certainly see where someone would want to kind of 'be in charge' and 'set some standards' so you don't have some folks slaving over really good holiday cookies and other just bringing store bought. And to let folks know up front what each person is bringing would be necessary to prevent repeats of the same cookies.

I've never belonged to a group (work, family, etc.) that did something like this. It seems that most groups I have been a part of have a significant number of people who don't cook or bake, and have no interest in the area of homemaking in general.

I'll just have to live vicariously through those of you who have these wonderful exchanges. Have fun and enjoy them this season!

Super Contributor

Not anymore. Years ago I participated in cookie exchanges with a group of 8-9 friends. One year I was just too busy with my girls, my job, and the house to bake cookies before the cookie exchange, so I cheated. I bought the ones in the refrigerator case that you just slice and bake. Then I put some colored sugar on top. One of the gals couldn't make the cookie exchange because she was seriously ill. We decided to give her cookies anyway as we knew she would probably not be able to bake that Christmas. Long story short...she sent word that she liked my cookies best and wanted my recipe. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

I do not participate in the exchange anymore, as my husband and I have seen some really poor food safety practices at a couple homes where we were guests for dinner or parties. We do not even buy food at bake sales. I know you never know what goes on behind the scenes at restaurants, but at least other employees are watching the way you handle food. In California, food handlers have to be certified in food safety practices.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Frequent Contributor

On 12/8/2014 mominohio said:
On 12/8/2014 ValuSkr said:
On 12/8/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

This is my third year in a cookie exchange. But I'm sorry. I really don't want to go into a lot of detail about making cookies and exchanging them. Yes, it's a lot of fun and we all enjoy ourselves. But I don't need a bunch of people here telling us that it's unhealthy to accept gifts of food and they would throw the cookies out, etc. etc. etc. And that's what will happen.

LOL. That other thread is the first thing I thought of when I saw this. Oh well.

I was beyond fed up with the other thread. I guess as long as we don't invite those who just dump other's homemade goods into the garbage, we will all have a good time!

I was just over there, when I saw what some of them wrote, I have to think twice do I bake my pumpkin bread for my neighbor and some co-workers. All I can say is WOW!!!!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Or should I ask my neighbor, " are you eating it or you going to throw it away?" {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

I participated in one years and years ago and it scared me off from ever doing it again! The hostess was quite ""strict"" and we had to use recipes that met her standards. It was too much pressure and not much fun for me - I am more of a ""casual"" baker I guess!

Regular Contributor

I just hosted one last weekend. It's only for family, and we're focused more on the getting-together part and less on the cookies themselves.

No one cares if someone bakes them or buys them, as long as they show up with cookies. Most people do make them fresh, but we have some elderly women who are not able to bake from scratch, but who are so excited to be invited. How can you say they can't come just because they're not able to bake the "acceptable" kinds of cookies? We just want to get together, swap stories, and enjoy the season. No one is penalized or excluded for something so trivial.

Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 BootLvr said:

I just hosted one last weekend. It's only for family, and we're focused more on the getting-together part and less on the cookies themselves.

No one cares if someone bakes them or buys them, as long as they show up with cookies. Most people do make them fresh, but we have some elderly women who are not able to bake from scratch, but who are so excited to be invited. How can you say they can't come just because they're not able to bake the "acceptable" kinds of cookies? We just want to get together, swap stories, and enjoy the season. No one is penalized or excluded for something so trivial.

Aww. I love that those that can't really contribute on the same level are included. I see with my mom getting older that she can't do what she once did, but needs to be included and needs to be needed. I think it would be great to be part of a family that was close enough to do this.

Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 balogna said:
On 12/8/2014 mominohio said:
On 12/8/2014 ValuSkr said:
On 12/8/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

This is my third year in a cookie exchange. But I'm sorry. I really don't want to go into a lot of detail about making cookies and exchanging them. Yes, it's a lot of fun and we all enjoy ourselves. But I don't need a bunch of people here telling us that it's unhealthy to accept gifts of food and they would throw the cookies out, etc. etc. etc. And that's what will happen.

LOL. That other thread is the first thing I thought of when I saw this. Oh well.

I was beyond fed up with the other thread. I guess as long as we don't invite those who just dump other's homemade goods into the garbage, we will all have a good time!

I was just over there, when I saw what some of them wrote, I have to think twice do I bake my pumpkin bread for my neighbor and some co-workers. All I can say is WOW!!!!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Or should I ask my neighbor, " are you eating it or you going to throw it away?" {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

balogna,

I'd be pleased as punch to have some of your pumpkin bread!

But some of the attitudes over there make you think twice about who you are giving to, doesn't it? I get that some people don't want to eat after those they don't know or that they perceive as dirty, but for heavens sake, the mean ways they think about it were quite eye opening.