Super Contributor

Hello Foodies, just wanted to tell you all what a terrible terrible 4 dozen batch of cookies I made yesterday. Don't know what happened as this is a recipe I have used forever for my sugar cookies and until yesterday have never had a bad batch.

I started out with Christmas Music playing as I assembled my ingredients and started mixing up the dough. So far so good. I rolled out the dough and cut out my different designs and put them on my cookie sheets for baking. Everything going well. I baked them the normal time, took them out and placed them on cooling racks. I was doing two pans at once, again as I always do. Got the next two dozen out and put them on the racks also. Decided to take a break and have a cup of coffee before I finished my last two dozen. Sit at my kitchen table enjoying my coffee and looking at a magazine. I got back up to finish my baking and I was shocked to see my cookies on the cooling racks, or should I say the mess. All of the cookies had sort of oozed down through the grids of the cooling racks and I had a huge mess. My cooling racks were not near the oven so no heat source to cause this. In all of my 64 years, I have never seen anything like this and am still confused as to what could have happened. Hopefully, it was just some bad "kitchen imp" in my kitchen messing with me, lol.

I'm hoping no "kitchen imps" get into your kitchen while you are doing your baking. BTW, my mom always said if a recipe turned out bad , it was the result of "kitchen imps".

Vicki{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

Re: Cookie Disaster at My House

Sounds like a mess. Are you sure you baked them long enough?

Honored Contributor

Obviously your a seasoned baker so I will tell you I had this happen several years ago & what it was is my oven temp was off (tested by pse&g my gas co in nj) by 35 degrees therefore even using the brown edge/thumbprint test my cookies while cooling on rack became mush! I can sympathize with you! also check the exp dates on both your baking soda & powders. The other thing I've found since living in FL the humidity kills my cookies therefore I leave them on the sheet pan at least 10 min until they slightly cool then transfer to cooling rack.
Super Contributor

Yes Valu I am sure about the time as I always sit two timers since sometimes I am away from the kitchen for a few minutes. The other timer is on my cell phone. The only thing is they came off of the cookie sheets fine and I would have thought if they had been undercooked, they would have not come off easily or at least would have been mushy. Thank you both for replying. Homedecor1, I purchased all new ingredients just a few days ago so that I would be using fresh. I still think it must have been a "kitchen imps, lol.

Vicki{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

On 12/5/2014 homedecor1 said: Obviously your a seasoned baker so I will tell you I had this happen several years ago & what it was is my oven temp was off (tested by pse&g my gas co in nj) by 35 degrees therefore even using the brown edge/thumbprint test my cookies while cooling on rack became mush! I can sympathize with you! also check the exp dates on both your baking soda & powders. The other thing I've found since living in FL the humidity kills my cookies therefore I leave them on the sheet pan at least 10 min until they slightly cool then transfer to cooling rack.

Humidity does sound like the culprit. Barometric pressure can also cause failures. Never bake on a stormy day!!!!!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Oh vicki, I'm sorry that happened! And I'm even sorrier you haven't figured out the cause. That would drive me batty.

My Mom calls kitchen imps "a little mice."

I have two little mice and a big one. They attack the cookie dough before it goes in the oven.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Vicki,

Sorry you had such a to-do with your cookies.

I agree that oven temp may have been the issue. My grandmother had a stove that after many years "went bad" and never could hold a decent oven temp, yet she refused to replace it.

OTOH, one thinks of what keeps a cookie together - binds it. That would be flour and egg/fluid. Many of us have been guilty of not measuring up sufficient flour without realizing it, or beating in the correct number of eggs or milk or any other fluid called for.

I have successfully baked in all kinds of humidity, but have never made candy, ever, on a questionably humid day.

Good luck with your next batch!

Honored Contributor

Since you are a very seasoned baker, have used the process and recipe many times, I would offer up only the following.

Perhaps you mis mixed the dough. Forgot something or added to much of another. The older I get the more I have to watch that my mind doesn't wander in the middle of a process like this. A couple of times I was adding ingredients thinking I was using the one cup measuring cup and had the three quarters in my hand.

What others have said about the oven is a possibility.

The ingredients might have been compromised. Perhaps something was not good or a cheaper variety than what you have used in the past (powder or soda expired and not 'working', flour not right, butter not up to par, (or a cheaper brand) with what you used before?).

For whatever reason, look at your ingredients, and if they are all brands you have used before, and within dates, try again. Check oven temps first and make sure it isn't in the stove.

Honored Contributor

Oil instead of shortening or butter? A margarine that doesn't have enough fat content?

Honored Contributor

Kitchen imps, Yes! That is my vote...and miss measuring ingredients...guilty here!