Honored Contributor

Cooked Chicken Breasts - How Long Do They Last in the Refrigerator?

I cooked chicken breasts last Thursday night to make chicken salad Friday night. As soon as they were cool, I put them in a sealed container and into the refrigerator. Friday night came and I pushed it back to Saturday. The weekend was hectic and I forgot about them. I just saw the container now (Wednesday), so it's been almost a week. They smell fine. Is it safe to use them for chicken salad? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cooked Chicken Breasts - How Long Do They Last in the Refrigerator?

I would think 3--4  days in the fridge if you had put them in the freezer much longer.  I would not take a chance with them, but that's up to you.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom If they smell fine and they don't look like their appearance is different - color change - I would use them. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

3-4 days for RAW but cooked chicken can last at least a week if your fridge is at the right temp and it was sealed well.

I do the same thing, get busy or forget about food.  I don't like my refrigerator, I have to practically get on the floor to see what's on the bottom shelf in the back.   As far as cooked foods go, I only keep leftovers for 1 week, no matter if they seem OK or not.    

@beach-mom wrote:

I cooked chicken breasts last Thursday night to make chicken salad Friday night. As soon as they were cool, I put them in a sealed container and into the refrigerator. Friday night came and I pushed it back to Saturday. The weekend was hectic and I forgot about them. I just saw the container now (Wednesday), so it's been almost a week. They smell fine. Is it safe to use them for chicken salad? 

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone! I'm going to take a chance and make my chicken salad. It's a new recipe! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Throw your chicken in the garbage.   The maximum is 24 hours from cooked, if the  chicken is fully cooked and refrigerated@ 38-42 degrees cold refrigerator. 

Otherwise, risk of salmonella may be present,  even if your chicken passes the sniff test.   Don't risk getting sick.   Throw it out.   Chicken is cheap.

Esteemed Contributor

According to Still Tasty dot com, after cooking, 3 to 4 days in the frig is how long they're good for. I'd toss them.

Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

Throw your chicken in the garbage.   The maximum is 24 hours from cooked, if the  chicken is fully cooked and refrigerated@ 38-42 degrees cold refrigerator. 

Otherwise, risk of salmonella may be present,  even if your chicken passes the sniff test.   Don't risk getting sick.   Throw it out.   Chicken is cheap.

What?  Chicken cooked correctly can be stored in the fridge up to about four days.  Once it is cooked properly, there is no risk of salmonella unless it is exposed to raw meat or eggs or some other carrier. 

If you feel is wasn't cooked properly the first time, it can be heated to 165 degrees and it will be safe to eat.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

My mom always told me 3 days in the refrig after being cooked that meat is still good...after that..i dispose of them..

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom My son usually keeps it for a week but my rule is three days.I follow the When in doubt throw it out rule.We for get sick at our house.