Honored Contributor

Re: Cook top or Stove? Microwave and Convection oven?

Did anyone mention money?  Around here a cooktop/wall oven combo is more expensive than a standard range.  And a convection oven is more expensive than a regular oven.  If I live long enough for a "next time,"  I'm gong for convection in a standard ceramic top range with a microwave above. 

Honored Contributor

My vote would be for a double electric oven with at least one of them a convection oven.  I think with all the roasted things we do today it is worth the money.

I would invest in a very good gas cooktop!  We have one and I love it.  It takes a little getting used to if you come from electric, but we love it!  And if the power goes off in the winter you can still cook.  If you like to cook and cook a lot, the cooktop is where I'd put money.

Also, I wouldn't put a cooktop in a center island either because it limits when you can use the island for, grease will splatter, and it seems to me it would make accidental burns and spills a bigger problem with the hot top being there to walk around.

I would put the most remodel money in a cooktop and a good sink!

Microwaves are something that are useful, and you can get them to put in a lot of places.  

Honored Contributor

we have three separate appliances......microwave/convection oven, 5 burner cooktop, wall oven with convection. i really do miss my second oven, especially during the holidays. i dont seem to use the convection features often.

i have a separate island, but i would not consider putting my cooktop there. it is used more for serving and for extra seating in case it is needed.

i have them all together and lined up vertically. microwave slightly above eye level. cooktop in granite countertop directly under microwave. wall oven underneath the countertop that fits into the cabinets, with cabinets on either side of that.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher I have exactly what was suggested.  Mine are all JennAire (vented outside) with eating area near the cooktop and chairs.

I don't even remember it being used.  My girls had moved out by the time we had it remodeled (due to fire (lightning)).  

My husband died in '04 and I never cook(ed) much after that.  I eat lunch out at least 4 times a week and don't eat much for dinner.

I think you are going about things the right way.  Talk to other's and find out what does and doesn't work for them.  Do the research.  Then decide what works best for YOU and your family.

My late husband was an investor and builder.  In another life he could have been an architect..  He was an amazing builder/designer.  Me....ummmm...not at all.  I've always found that part boring.  Now when it came to painting/staining/wallpapering...I'm your person.  I love everything about it (and I'm pretty good at it).  Not anymore though.  My back makes it hard for me to do all of the things I love.

I love coming here and reading all you and the ladies' posts.  It's fascinating/enjoyable and I learn (can't do, but I learn).

Keep posting to you and everyone.  It brings people like me (who used to do and can't so much anymore) good memories and pleasure.

Have a wonderful mother's day.  I don't believe you have to be a mother to enjoy the day.  I think those who aren't mother's of people or furbabies need to understand this is a day to just enjoy being alive and enjoy seeing people be happier than they usually are.  Ha!

Respected Contributor

Thank you for all your suggestions! We're still in the process of getting presentations and estimates so please keep them coming. Right now, I'm leaning towards getting a stove and wall oven. I think I just want the microwave to have a space, not sure I want it with the oven.😱😲😀

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

It's up to you, but personally I want a stove. Most wall ovens aren't as large. You can get a stove that has convection capability. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Make it match your cooking style, unless you are doing it for resale value and will be selling your home soon. For, me a regular range with a convection option is all I need. Some ranges have a second oven in place of a drawer which helps with holiday baking.

Respected Contributor

I have a gas cooktop with builtin microwave above and then a separate double wall oven, both convection (as someone mentioned, you don't have to use the convection feature). Both wall ovens are full size, large enough for very large sheet/cookie pans.

I have always preferred wall ovens because I hate bending over to see inside or to remove items from the oven. Think about how you yourself cook and whether you need two ovens. I bake a lot and find the two oven feature very convenient.

Having a cooktop on an island is a personal pet peeve of mine. I have a seven foot island and it is my dedicated work space. Plenty of room to get out all my ingredients and bowls and utensils at one time.

Honored Contributor

Just wanted to chime in again because I see a couple of people have posted that they don't like ranges/cooktops in an island.  However, my range is in my island and I love it.  My range is large and my island is very large.  There is a stainless steel hood over the range.  Since there is ample room to work on each side of the range, it works well for me.

Trusted Contributor

@Starpolisher

My kitchen design may not be much help to you, but I live out in the country where power outages are a constant threat, especially in the wintertime with all the pine trees we have in Georgia (which collect ice and break power lines).

I have a 6-burner propane cooktop in my island and two electric wall ovens which offer conventional and convection settings.  Even when the power is out, I can light my cooktop burners with a match and have hot food.  It is true that neither oven is as large as the single oven in my mother's electric range was, but they've always been large enough for what I need to cook.

I love cooking on gas burners, but I also love baking in an electric oven, so to me this arrangement is the best of both worlds.

My microwave is in an open cabinet above my countertop, and I have a little toaster oven plus a plain old-fashioned 4-slice toaster which live on a countertop off to one side.  As somebody else mentioned, it's really nice to have the ovens up at eye level instead of having to bend over to reach the oven when it's part of the stove.

In my former house, I had a single wall oven with a door which opened from the side (instead of pulling out toward you from the top) -- I really loved not having to reach over a hot oven door to pull out my hot pans.