New Contributor

Cook's Essentials pressure/ slow cooker

I have the pressure/slow cooker and see recipes stating to use the high or low buttons. This cooker does not offer high or low choices! Any idea which would be high or low setting?

Anyone have a problem with the gasket retaining the smell of what has been made?

Also, I see the offered replacement gaskets do not fit the electric cooker. 

HELP

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cook's Essentials pressure/ slow cooker

Welcome to the Community, @classic plus! Could you share some details about which cooker you have, such as an item number or even the size or features available? That will help us to answer your questions more directly.

I have a Cook's Essentials pressure cooker, and I have noticed that the silicone gasket sometimes retains smells, as do the silicone inserts I purchased to go with the machine. I've had limited success with getting rid of odors by placing the items in the sink, sprinkling them with baking soda and then drizzling them with vinegar, and letting them sit for half an hour. I then rinse them clean with very hot water. If that doesn't work, try placing the smelly items on a baking sheet in a 250-degree oven for 20 minutes. Carefully remove them and allow them to cool just for a minute or so to allow you to safely smell them. If the odors are gone, great! If not, try continuing to "cook" the pieces in 10-minute increments until at least most of the odors dissipate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Welcome @classic plus  !!

I do NOT have Cook's Essentials.  I have an Instant Pot, 6 qt and YES it does retain odor!

My pot smells like Stew, Pot roast!  It doesn't seem to transfer onto other dishes though, such as chicken, but I can clearly smell it!  Luckily, extra rings are available for mine.  I did purchase a 2 pack to save one for desserts.

I tried a recipe for Rice Pudding that stated to use LOW pressure.  My pot doesn't have LOW pressure.

It does have low for the slow cooker but NOT for pressure cooking.

I called the C/S line for Instant Pot and he said to reduce the cooking time by half.

Having said that...the rice pudding was done and very creamy BUT it boiled up through the hole (due to such high pressure) and I had a mess.

Hope someone owns the Cook's Essentials and can help you out a little better!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wonder what the PSI is on the pressure cooker?

Common settings are 13-15 on high & 6-8 on low.

Some have a lot lower high setting so they can make it cheaper. You need to know what you are buying. Cooking time varies depending on PSI.

Look for PSI , kPa or bar in your manual to see what it is.

One of my pressure cookers smells like BBQ. LOL!!! Does not bother me. It does not transfer to other foods while cooking.