Re: Cook's Essentials lifetime warranty--not a totally true statement

I like your response to Life Time guarentees, because of the caveot of having a replacement item available. I remember CE would replace with a similar item, but that has gone away too, as CE open stock has gone away.. Even warrenties of 1 year are so limited on items under $100 that I doublt anyone wants to pay postage and the hassle to replace. That said, my early SS  non-stick Cook's Essentials cook set still works well, and that's about 20 years. Oh, well, Bob Warden. Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

Non-stick cookware is NOT made for cooking at high temperatures. If you cook at high temperatures, your non-stick will decay and age a lot faster than it normally would.

There is a HUGE difference between Teflon COATING and BONDED Teflon. Teflon coating is SPRAYED ON to the metal and will chip, bubble, and peel off eventually, even with correct usage and care. BONDED Teflon is actually bonded to the metal, like what Calphalon and Analon does. Which is why it lasts "forever".

I've had some Calphalon pans for almost 20 years now, and I've just recently had to replace one of the pans because the Teflon became too worn down, as this was my favorite pan to use. All of my other pans are still perfectly fine to use. Even the ones I've used at high temperatures.

You NEVER want to get anything with SPRAYED on Teflon, you want to get BONDED Teflon, as it will last a long time. The sprayed on stuff can flake off in your food too, which is not something you want.

As for Cooks Essentials, I got their double bread maker some years ago, and it's still being used today. I am shocked that I've never had any problems with it, it's been a very good piece of equipment.

But recently, I used only one side to make a loaf of bread and I forgot to put the emtpy bread tin in the side not being used, and the heat melted and frosted the clear window on the top of the lid. I looked online and the only replacement parts I could find were the paddles, belts, and bread tins. There weren't any parts for the lids, or even replacement lids themselves.

It would be nice if QVC would stock replacement parts for the appliances they sell with theri brand name on it.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Between my mother and myself I have tons of Cooks Essentials (I inherited my Mom's) both complete sets and individual pieces - and we NEVER used metal utensils and NEVER put them in the dishwasher- they are peeling and I certainly can't afford to ship them back to the Q which they required when i asked a piece to be replaced some years back--- On top of which they only gave a few bucks for it!!! They "informed" me that since they don't carry open-stock- (let alone whole sets like I have) that oh well I'm sht outta luck! Seems like they should have a class action suit started against them don't ya think? For False advertising and selling what has become potential health hazard pots and pans.More and more is being said about peeling teflon (AND we don't cook on high either- so why they all are peeling is beyond me. ALSO I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT POT IS WHAT AS FAR AS "SETS" GO- AND WHEN I CONTACTED THEM THEY SAID I WOULD HAVE TO PROVIDE THE PROOF OF PURCHASE- I DONT' REMEMBER WHEN AND HOW MANY WE ACTUALLY PURCHASED!! iT'S OBVIOUSLY COOKS ESSENTIALS- EXCLUSIVE TO QVC AND FRANKLY I WOULD WANT THE SAME SIZES ETC THAT I BOUGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Some of the "lids" had great features- and the huge chicken fryer -- do they even have anything like that? NOPE! I gave up.I just can't afford to ship all of them back to only get a few dollars for them. And since i paid for all of them I would want the same amount of pots and pans replaced- is that too much to ask for?

Honored Contributor

I have often wondered whos life is the warranty good?  My life, their life, just whos?

IMO life time warranties are worthless.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

How could anything be a lifetime warranty???

Like those 10 yr warranties on mattresses ----- BIG LIE!!!!! I read all about mattresses on-line a few years ago when I needed to purchase 3. The manufacturer NEVER honors the warranty - and rarely sends someone over to a customer's house to even check out the sagging mattress. If they do - on a rare occasion - they say the sag has to be at least a few inches deep. GIMMICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also wouldn't use metal utensils on non-stick.

I am actually furious over this.  Either they can't find your original order, they no longer manufacture the items or some other obscure, (we hoodwinked you), lame excuse they can come up with to thwart their repsonsibility.  Anyone who purchases ANYTHING from QVC under the guise of Lifetime Warranty is a fool.  Buyer beware.  What a collosal insult to those of us who trusted what we were being told.  The internet makes our purchasing options a wide open venue today.  I will reserve my dollars for those entities which have a better reputation for honoring their guarantees and respecting their customers..   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry to hear that others are having issues with CE replacements. Several years ago, I purchased a new set of pans for my mother and one for myself when they were a TSV. My set is still going strong with just a few nicks and rub marks here and there, but my mother has had no end of trouble with hers, even though she really babies her kitchen items. Over the years, I've ended up requesting replacements for five pots/pans from her set (well, one pot twice) with no problems at all.

However, during my last conversation with customer service, it was mentioned that future requests might need to be forwarded directly to a CE service line due to a factor noted in this thread: lack of available product. I was given a toll-free number to keep on hand just in case, but I have since lost it. I would hope that the Q reps could provide that information to you if you asked for it, and perhaps that would help you get your replacements more easily.

Respected Contributor

Did you get a written warranty document with the item?  If you did, was there anything describing what would happen if the item was no longer being produced?  Whatever that document said is what is available to you.

I have purchased two Cooks Essential pressure cookers.  the first one the pot started peeling and Cook's Essentials replaced it with a stainless steel pan.  After two-four years I had a problem with both of them and QVC gave me a credit for the total $ amount I paid at the time.  I was able to choose something else with that credit.  Who elso would do that?  

Well I guess you answered mt question. I purchased entire set from QVC about 20 years ago. My deep fryer pan needs replacing. When I purchased set, I was told it had a lifetime warranty. Been looking trying to find a address where I can send it and I saw your letter. Yes it is very disappointing. It is my favorite pan and I always thought it could be replaced if something happen to it. They should not tell you that something has a lifetime warranty on it, if it doesn't. I agree with you that is false advertising.