Respected Contributor

Convection vs Traditional Oven

Any insight? One good for selected items? Thanks for help.
Honored Contributor

Re: Convection vs Traditional Oven

My counter top convection oven I use when I eat at home.  Love it!

My "traditional" oven is a storage bin for my pots, pans & bowls.  Love it!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I have a Breville convection oven.  I use it more than my oven.  I like the convection because I don't just toast things, I like to cook with it.  I checked on the Breville with Consumer Reports and it's rated high.

Honored Contributor

I have been wondering about getting a countertop convection oven now that I’m by myself.  But the ones I’ve looked at only have cooking times to about one hour.  I often bake something longer than that.  I’m wondering if the portable convections are not safe for baking longer.

Honored Contributor

I have a Breville convection oven and I see no difference between cooking with or without the convection fan.  I wouldn't pay for convection in a big oven.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My built-in oven offers a convection option, which 8 always use because it circulates air and offers even heat and even browning. 

Honored Contributor

I learned how to bake/roast in a conventional oven, it's what I'm comfortable with.  MANY YEARS ago, when my mom bought a new stove/oven she selected a convection oven.  It was a brand new method back then.  Baking/roasting times and temperatures had to be recalculated for everything she made.  That turned me off to convection ovens.  IDK if they've changed that in the years since.

Honored Contributor

Convection ovens are known for crispy on the outside, tender, soft, and juicy on the inside.  Conventional ovens often cause meats to dry out on the inside.  

I like convection ovens better.  Meat comes out tender and juicy on the inside, nicely browned on the outside.  French fries and baked potatoes are scrumptious.  For foods you don't want too crispy on the outside or crusty on the top, a conventional oven is better.  

For me, cakes browned too much in a convection oven.  

If this is to replace a range, I'd look at one that is both conventional and convection, but you can get counter tops with both, too.

Respected Contributor

I have double wall ovens that are both traditional and convection. The convection choice cooks hotter and faster. The instructions that came with the oven recommend reducing the temp by 25 degrees when using convection. I especially use it when baking breads - both quick breads and yeast breads. It produces a higher rise in the bread. I use both methods a lot.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with @Foxxee and @froggy - I do more baking than anything else, and after trying out a friend's high-end convection oven several times, I found that it worked well for bread but overdid it on almost all other items, even with proper time and temperature adjustments. I'm just about to take delivery of my brand new range, and it is not a convection model.