Honored Contributor

Re: Convection oven/range question

@KingstonsMom    The kind without the light.  It came out after I bought mine. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@sarahpanda  I can't answer your question about noise, but I will warn you that they do not work the same way as a conventional oven.  You will have to adjust both temperature and time for your recipes.  You'll need to decide if you want to bother with that.  

@JeanLouiseFinch    I disagree.  I adjust nothing and never have.  We're not talking about a flimsy toaster oven.  These big convection ovens are REAL ovens.  If you have one you constant adjust for, you bought the wrong brand. 

@Kachina624  unless I'm missing something, I believe @sarahpanda is talking about a full size range, not a countertop Breville.  Maybe you don't make adjustments, that doesn't mean you aren't supposed to.  My mom had a full-size convection oven, and it was in the user manual. An online search about temp and time says the same. 🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch    I don't know; she doesn't make it clear.  I assumed she couldn't get a big oven so was getting a small one to use until she could.  In all of these ovens, big or little, you can turn the convection fan off.  I rarely use it as it makes little difference in the short-time cooking I do mostly. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is it combination conventional/convection?  If it is and you don't like convection, you still have the conventional to use.  

I have a freestanding range combo.  I don't like convection for everything.  

Honored Contributor

I don't have a countertop model, but my full size oven has a convection feature. There is a little bit of the noise when the fan runs, but it's not loud or annoying. Mine is a Samsung that is three years old.

Respected Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia   Thank you for your reply.  I am referring to the big ol' oven that sits on the floor that comes with the house, so to speak....not countertop oven.  I need somewhere to boil big pots of soup, etc.

Respected Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia   Thank you for your reply.  I am referring to the big ol' oven that sits on the floor that comes with the house, so to speak....not countertop oven.  I need somewhere to boil big pots of soup, etc.

@sarahpanda  Okay, then the first paragraph of my initial response would apply to your question, except that yours would be a full sized range. 

Frequent Contributor

I have a full size GE range with convection fan.  It made a squeaking noise but called repair to fix it.  No problem with noise since.  Although you can still hear the fan run, but not disturbing.  I asked repair why I need to rearrange cookie sheets to get an even bake.  He said it is not a "true convection oven" whatever that means.  But I do think it browns nicely and in a little shorter time than regular oven.  Can't imagine regretting the purchase especially since it's available in your time frame.

Honored Contributor

My 20 year old oven had the air feature in it--never used it but it was something that was a separate button to push and it was quiet as I did turn it on to see what it did. Can you find the type of oven you bought and look it up to see if it always on or a feature you just turn on when you want it?