Trusted Contributor

Confused/Mixed Reaction to Copper Chef

[ Edited ]

I bought the small CC skillet to try. I didn't really need another skillet, but lots of good reviews--and a price of twenty bucks--not much to lose. Anyway, I got the skillet and read the little brochure that came with it. Turns out it's quite confusing.

1. It can be put in the dishwasher--but the booklet says repeated use of the dishwasher will damage it, and by the way you can't use dish detergent with lemon in it. (So can you use lemon in cooking? Doesn't say.)

2. It can be used over high heat, but the booklet says it should be used mostly over low or medium, and that high heat will damage it.

3. It can be used in the oven, but not a toaster oven (not that it would fit anyway).

4. You can add fat, but only refined, not virgin, olive oil or clarified, not ordinary, butter.

5. You can use on any heat source, even the barbecue, but over a gas burner you should use a flame shield thing.

6. It's scratch resistant, but metal utensils will damage the finish. 

Anybody with experience with this pan have advice? Is there anything about this pan that improves on any nonstick skillet? Have I fallen for a scam?

Hey, I'm willing to be happy with this purchase, I really am. But reviews are often written soon after receiving things, and I'd like to know what the deal really is after using the pan for a while. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Confused/Mixed Reaction to Copper Chef

Wow, those are some serious use rules!

If it's nonstick, I can see why it shouldn't go in the dishwasher or be used with high heat (even though in presentations they probably misrepresent that).   Same applies to using with metal utensils.

But the other rules are definitely a head-scratcher.   About the only fat I ever use in a pan is either extra virgin olive oil and/or butter.  (I use them together a lot - the butter for that flavor and the evoo to bring up the flash point)

Respected Contributor

I use olive oil in mine and I've put mine under the broiler twice so far.  It is perfect.

I don't put it in the DW and I don't use metal utensils.  I love this pan so I am kind of babying it.

It looks like brand new and I use it a lot.  I've had it about 6 months.

I would not use Pam type sprays because those ruin non stick pans.  They leave a gummy residue.They do have an olive oil spray that is safe for nonstick pans and that is what I use all the time.

I actually have 2 of these CC pans and they are great!

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt

Right? I use EVOO and butter, too, and don't buy "refined" olive oil or keep ghee on hand as a rule. Maybe they have stated all those rules to preclude anybody suing them later? I'll probably use it like any other nonstick pan and if it doesn't survive the treatment...oh, well.

Trusted Contributor

@mima, that's encouraging! I won't baby the pan, but I'm glad to hear that yours has survived for 8 months. I figure a nice nonstick skillet in daily use has about 18 months in it, even if you're careful. So I won't cry if I only get that much from the CC. Yeah, those aerosols are no good for any cookware IMO. But the EVO spray bottle I bought on Q works very well with olive oil in it. 

Honored Contributor

I think they have all the rules so they won't have to pay off on warranty claims. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I think they have all the rules so they won't have to pay off on warranty claims. 

That's the first thing I thought of when I read this. They  know that most people don't read instructions, and will go by the presentations. So people are going to definitely do what you should be able to do with any pan that's actually fit for use on a stove--put olive oil or plain old butter in it.

Add to that the stuff with lemon in dishwashing detergent, the contradictory guidance on putting it in the dishwasher, and especially that business about the heat level, which is the tricky issue with a lot of nonstick pans, and you've got a product that basically isn't fit for the purpose it's being sold for. I'd return this and get a piece of real cookware.

Honored Contributor

#4 is absurd.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I just purchased the 10" with a glass lid from another retailer for $20.

I was surprised by all the do's & don'ts but it won't be a problem for me because I plan to use it to saute without oils and to boil potatoes or other veggies.   I'm so tired of burning up pots & pans.

I rarely use my dishwasher now, for just me, but I've never used the lemon dishwashing products because I have other items with that forbid it.   Like my stainless forks, etc.

@KaySD

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought the 9 1/2 inch square Copper Chef skillet on my SIL's recommendation.  She has both the Copper Chef and Red Copper skillets.  I've used it about 6 times to cook egg white omelets for my husband and me with a good quality margarine and have had no problems with sticking or clean up.  I'v used it numerous times for hash browns, sausage, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. with no issues thus far.  Before I invested in the larger pans, I wanted to try this skillet since I got it at BB&B with my 20% off.  I'm just sticking with this one for a while.  Since it is so easy to clean, I just hand wash.  I've been told that lemon dish detergent is not good for many reasons so I never use it.

Spoiler

h