Esteemed Contributor

Confess to liking fruitcake - has anyone baked one?

Maybe I'm the only one on earth who will eat a slice of fruitcake, but I do enjoy a piece now and then during the holiday.

I know the ingredients are costly, and I doubt I would make one, but if anyone has done so, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

Also, I've not sampled far and wide, but if there is one already made that is superior, please share!

I just picked one of those little "bricks" of Claxton fruitcake up at my local Southern States while getting a fresh salt like for the deer.  That's what I love about that place!

I'm sure it would horrify fruitcake snobs, but I just sampled it and it wasn't bad Cat Surprised

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Confess to liking fruitcake - has anyone baked one?

@Witchy Woman  It has been awhile, but I also like it, too.

Off topic, but how are you doing?  Hope you are healthy and moving forward.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I absolutely love fruitcake!  My mom always made some for Christmas to pass around so my family grew up eating and learning to love it.  

This question is such a coincidence because yesterday the postman delivered a heavy box and inside was everything I'll need to make my first fruitcake, courtesy of my sister-in-law.  We had been discussing it a while ago and lo and behold, the box arrived.

I'm anxcious to try it now.  

Respected Contributor

So you're the one?  LOL!  I confess to never actually eating a piece of fruitcake.  I used to always just pick out the nuts & throw out the rest.  My dad used to get them free at work so I didn't feel too guilty about throwing out food.  I think many people complain about them because they're so dry.  Easily resolved by soaking in rum.  Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Witchy Woman  It has been awhile, but I also like it, too.

Off topic, but how are you doing?  Hope you are healthy and moving forward.

How kind of you to ask.

I'm doing fine.  I miss the hormones and notice subtle differences now that I cannot take them, but, the fear of getting cancer balances that out.  Still have hot flashes now and then, but with the cooler weather, they seem to have subsided.  Don't sleep as well or as sound.

The GYN has me taking a minor dosage estrogen pill (inserting), and it helps some.  But, not like when I was using the estrogen bioidentical cream. 

However, I am grateful the uterine cancer had not spread, so, life is mostly good!

And, you?

Honored Contributor

I have never tried to make one. The only one I will eat is from Collin Street Bakery, Corsicana, Tx.

Esteemed Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

So you're the one?  LOL!  I confess to never actually eating a piece of fruitcake.  I used to always just pick out the nuts & throw out the rest.  My dad used to get them free at work so I didn't feel too guilty about throwing out food.  I think many people complain about them because they're so dry.  Easily resolved by soaking in rum.  Woman LOL

Well now, this evening will find me having a little piece of fruitcake with a shot of run over it!  I know that's not the idea, but, I'm giving it a try even though this one was not dry!

Esteemed Contributor

@NanaLinda wrote:

I absolutely love fruitcake!  My mom always made some for Christmas to pass around so my family grew up eating and learning to love it.  

This question is such a coincidence because yesterday the postman delivered a heavy box and inside was everything I'll need to make my first fruitcake, coursety of my sister-in-law.  We had been discussing it a while ago and lo and behold, the box arrived.

How fun!

Please come back and tell us how it came out.

Was it a kit or something, or did she put all the stuff together for you?

Honored Contributor

I made them years ago when I got a ton of free pecans.   I had a tiny kitchen and it was quite a production.   I had a huge stainless bowl in which I mixed everything.   Lots of work.   I wouldn't do it now as the ingredients are so expensive,  it's cheaper to buy them.   I could eat fruitcakes every single day... Love it! 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@NanaLinda wrote:

This question is such a coincidence because yesterday the postman delivered a heavy box and inside was everything I'll need to make my first fruitcake, coursety of my sister-in-law.  We had been discussing it a while ago and lo and behold, the box arrived.

How fun!

Please come back and tell us how it came out.

Was it a kit or something, or did she put all the stuff together for you?

Only problem is,   you should have made it at least a month ago.   They need to sit awhile to "mellow". 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment