Honored Contributor

I buy 4 groups of 3 bands of collards and cook them.  We can't eat all of that (of course) but I freeze them!  SO much better than the cut frozen collards in the grocery store.

What do you like?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

We love collards, but don't buy them much living in Hawaii.  They are over the top expensive here (one little band of maybe 3 leaves is over $5).  We would rather not eat them than to buy frozen ones.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Valued Contributor

I buy the bags of pre cut and washed collards.  Same with kale.

Honored Contributor

Re: Collards!!!

[ Edited ]

Love collards....lightly steam them, trim down the thick middle stem and stuff with lots of veggies, sprouts, little hummus, avo....and make a wrap.

Honored Contributor

@D Kay 

Unless you have eaten the fresh, you don't know how yummy they are.

i just stripped and cut 4 bundles of 3.  We'll have those and I'll freeze the rest after I stood all day in retail.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG 

Like you, I buy collards by the bunch - in fact we just ate our collards.  Woke up this morning to a non-functioning  refrigerator so I had to cook everything a day early rather than have it spoil.  We enjoyed those collard greens with cornbread muffins.  Bright spot in an otherwise not so good day.  Having a major appliance break down at the beginning of a holiday weekend is no fun!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags 

Appliance issues are horrible!  So sorry.  I have a big freezer.  Take care!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Collards!!!

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@shoesnbags 

Appliance issues are horrible!  So sorry.  I have a big freezer.  Take care!

@ECBG 

We do, too.  So I moved all of the frozen items into the big freezer, but everything was totally thawed so not sure if I'll end up keeping anything.  It was frozen veggies and frozen fruit, so it won't kill us but the quality after being refrozen will probably be poor.

The refrigerator section is large and all of that stuff will be a total loss.  Hubby picked up some ice but the ice chest will only hold a small amount compared to what was in the fridge.  If only it hadn't picked New Year's Eve to go out.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags 

SO sorry.  I certainly have been in your place!

Happy New Years!

Valued Contributor

I cook collards weekly when fresh are available.  I cook in pressure cooker.  Years ago I  cooked multiple bunches in Nesco roaster and less frequently but always for Mother's Day, Mom's Birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.  I find the pre chopped bags have too many large stems.  Happy New Year!