Honored Contributor

I have been checking out some recipes using these flours instead of regular flour. Some recipes ues Flax Eggs instead of eggs.

Has anyone ever made anything with either of these flours our used Flax eggs? How did it turn out? Some used chia seeds instead of flax.

I have never made anything with either flour. 

I had never heard of flax eggs until I saw the recipes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Coconut or Almond Flour

[ Edited ]

I have used both and sometimes mix them.  The last oatmeal cookies I made had almond four and flax egg.  They turned out great!  No white flour/sugar, or eggs are used in my household.  Experiment with both almond/coconut and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  I use it very sparingly....usually a treat for the hubs.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd 

Thanks for replying.

Oatmeal cookies sounds yummy. I bought some oatmeal so I could make some but have not done it yet.

Do you use an alternative sugar? 

I also bought some coconut sugar. I was going to buy almond flour but some how forgot & checked out before putting it in my cart. LOL!!! Guess I will have to experiment. Probably won't get much of that done since it will be too hot to cook.

Respected Contributor

What does flax egg look like ?

Honored Contributor

@meem120   I have used one tablespoon flax to three tablespoons warm water.   Let it sit for approximately 5 minutes.  I rarely bake, but I have found this to be an excellent binder as a replacement for eggs.  It looks and feels gelatinous...like an egg.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I have used both and sometimes mix them.  The last oatmeal cookies I made had almond four and flax egg.  They turned out great!  No white flour/sugar, or eggs are used in my household.  Experiment with both almond/coconut and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  I use it very sparingly....usually a treat for the hubs.

I make oatmeal cookies w/ super ripe ‘naners.

You can add raisins, like the picture shows, or almonds,

shredded coconut, vegan chocolate chips, peanut butter,

cranberries....the choices are endless...but the foundation

will always be bananas & oats. #variations

E8D12312-0F76-41D1-9204-810F2C291236.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz   Yes, I have used coconut sugar as well as other alternatives to white sugar. Sugar is not a healthly food, no matter what kind.  Sometimes I have used maple syrup,  fresh fruit is my go to for sweetness.  Given this information:  it sounds like you are moving towards a healthier kitchen.  Good for you!  It takes time and these foods are transitional foods towards health....better than the alternatives.  Enjoy your cookies, I'm sure they will be yummy!Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom Love this!  "Naners" are perfect for sweetness in baked goods!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@sidsmom Love this!  "Naners" are perfect for sweetness in baked goods!

@phoenixbrd 

I’ve taken older medjool dates (which I forgotten in my crisper,

my bad!), reconstituted them in hot water& blended them

making a paste...you could add that for sweetness, as well. 

(It’s sweet like sugar, but has all the fiber/vitamins/minerals 

still intact).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom   Yes, dates are my standby.  I use them in my homemade Vitamix salad dressings if I'm desiring sweetness.