Valued Contributor

Cleaning Copper Chef "Glass" Lids

I can't be the only one frustrated with trying to clean the glass lids of the copper chef pans.  I don't know what they are made of but they are so hard to clean!

I've got glass lids that are decades old that are spotless, but my Copper Chef lids are covered with baked on grease spots.  I've scrubbed and scoured; tried the scrub daddy (useless); magic eraser; spraying with Awesome (worked somewhat).  I hate to ruin them, not that they aren't looking ruined anyway, but I'm ready to try bar keepers cleanser or oven cleaner or something to get them looking clean.  HELP ME!

Contributor

Re: Cleaning Copper Chef "Glass" Lids

I have the same problem with both Calphalon, Cuisinart and whatever my electric frying pan is glass lids.  Never thought to use BKF, just scrub gently with sos rinse in very hot water and dry right away.  Sometimes that doesn’t even work and I have to repeat.  I will try BKF.  Next to stainless steel just another bane of my existence....looking forward to see if anyone has a better solution.

Occasional Contributor

Maybe wipe or spray a light coating of a degreaser, let it work for a few minutes, then try to clean?  RInse and repeat.  Greased Lightning is about 10 bucks for a gallon at Home Depot.

Honored Contributor

have not had any problems with the copper chef glass lids. i rinse them off, scrub if needed, and then they go into the dishwasher.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

I have the same problem and thought it was only me. I wash the lid in hot soapy water, scrub it good and it still has ugly spots that make it look as though I had never cleaned it. I have now retired it to the garage as I would hate for someone to see this lid. This is the only lid I have this problem with. All my other glass lids are spotless and some are really old too.!!

Honored Contributor

I use Bar Keepers Friend cleanser on my glass lids. I sprinkle it on the lid and scrub it with a Scrub Daddy. Sometimes I will toss them in the dishwasher, too, and then see what is left to clean after that.

Honored Contributor

Haven't they changed the formula for this "glass?"  Some of mine come clean and some don't.  Borosilicate or something like that?  I just gave up and use them the way they are.  Obviously they are clean after going through the dishwasher.  

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for the replies - didn't see them until now.  I'm bringing out the big guns this weekend and trying SOMETHING!  Can't ruin them any more than what they are now.  I do not have a dishwasher, I wash them in hot soapy water and have scrubbed to no avail!

BKF first or Soft Scrub with bleach. 

Valued Contributor

and the answer is ............. the Soft Scrub with Bleach finally cleaned the lid including under the riveted handle!  I tried very wetted down Bar Keepers first and surpisingly that only cleaned it slightly better than just regular hot sudsy dishwater.  Put the Soft Scrub on with a scrubbie and plenty of water and then let it sit for about 4 hours.  CLEAN!!  Now if only I could get inside that metal band that goes all around the glass I'd be thrilled!!

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Haven't they changed the formula for this "glass?"  Some of mine come clean and some don't.  Borosilicate or something like that?  I just gave up and use them the way they are.  Obviously they are clean after going through the dishwasher.  

Borosilicate glass should not be the problem.  It is often used in laboratory settings and used to be common in "kitchen" glass.  Many manufacturers of kitchen glass have changed to "soda-lime" glass because it is less expensive to manufacture.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.