Respected Contributor

Re: Classic sandwiches from around the world

Correction:  The vegetarian Reuben sandwich recipe (and rave reviews) is at Food & Wine   foodandwine dot com

Title is Smoky Vegetarian Beet Reubens

I've made them three times and I'm not a vegetarian, they are that good.

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy, thanks for posting this....very interesting, and it gave me a couple of ideas for the week!

Valued Contributor

One of these days I am going to make that Hot Brown. My mouth waters everytime I see one or read the recipe for one.

Honored Contributor

@nomar : 

Here's the recipe straight from the Brown Hotel:

THE WORLD-FAMOUS HOT BROWN

INGREDIENTS
Makes Two Hot Browns 

• 2 oz. Whole Butter
  • 2 oz. All Purpose Flour
  • 8 oz. Heavy Cream
  • 8 oz. Whole Milk
  • ½ Cup of Pecorino Romano Cheese
    Plus 1 Tablespoon for Garnish
  • Pinch of Ground Nutmeg
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • 14 oz. Sliced Roasted Turkey Breast, Slice Thick
  • 4 Slices of Texas Toast (Crust Trimmed)
  • 4 Slices of Crispy Bacon
  • 2 Roma Tomatoes, Sliced in Half
  • Paprika
  • Parsley

In a two‑quart saucepan, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour until combined and forms a thick paste (roux). Continue to cook roux for two minutes over medium‑low heat, stirring frequently. Whisk heavy cream and whole milk into the roux and cook over medium heat until the cream begins to simmer, about 2‑3 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and slowly whisk in Pecorino Romano cheese until the Mornay sauce is smooth. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.

For each Hot Brown, place two slices of toast with the crusts cut off in an oven safe dish – one slice is cut in half corner to corner to make two triangles and the other slice is left in a square shape - then cover with 7 ounces of turkey. Take the two halves of Roma tomato and two toast points and set them alongside the base of the turkey and toast. Next, pour one half of the Mornay sauce to completely cover the dish. Sprinkle with additional Pecorino Romano cheese. Place the entire dish in the oven. Suggested bake time is 20 minutes at 350º. When the cheese begins to brown and bubble, remove from oven, cross two pieces of crispy bacon on top, sprinkle with paprika and parsley, and serve immediately.

Respected Contributor

@feline groovy 

Very interesting! Thanks for an entertaining and informative post--and for one which was not a slideshow lol.

What worries you masters you.