Trusted Contributor

Used to make these with my kids. They smell so GOOD!

Cinnamon Ornaments

Cinnamon Dough Ornaments

Makes 12-15 Ornaments

3/4 c. apple sauce

2 bottles (2.37 oz.) McCormick ground cinnamon

Cookie cutters

Drinking straw

Ribbon or string for hanging

1. Preheat oven to 200°F. Mix applesauce and cinnamon in small bowl until a smooth ball of dough is formed. (You may need use your hands to incorporate all of the cinnamon.) Using about 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll dough to 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thickness between two sheets of plastic wrap. Peel off top sheet of plastic wrap. Cut dough into desired shapes with 2- to 3-inch cookie cutters. Make a hole at top of ornament with drinking straw or skewer. Place ornaments on baking sheet.
  2. Bake 2 1/2 hours. Cool ornaments on wire rack. (Or, to dry ornaments at room temperature, carefully place them on wire rack. Let stand 1 to 2 days or until thoroughly dry, turning occasionally.).
  3. Insert ribbon through holes and tie to hang. Decorate with opaque paint markers, found in arts and crafts stores, if desired.
Honored Contributor

Re: Cinnamon Dough Ornaments

They are so cute. I received a gift of them from my little nephews many years ago. They're grown now but I still have their ornaments - wonder if they remember making them with their father...

Honored Contributor

That brings back memories. I made these with my kids when they were small. Smelled great in the house!

Valued Contributor

I'll have to make these, thank you. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

We used to make these but they had knox plain gelatin in them too. What a great memory. As we got older we would hang them in our cars like air fresheners. Love them!
Respected Contributor

Made these years and years ago....for a southwestern themed tree, in the shapes of cactus, ceyote etc.turned out cute , had a rustic look to them and lasted a long time!
Trusted Contributor

On 12/8/2014 Azcowgirl said: Made these years and years ago....for a southwestern themed tree, in the shapes of cactus, ceyote etc.turned out cute , had a rustic look to them and lasted a long time!

That sounds cute, Azcowgirl!

jtdmum, there are probably more than a few recipes out there. This one is from McCormick's Spices, and it is the one I made with my kids several years ago.

You can also decorate these ornaments with craft paint like puff paint or glitter paint if you want more color. I like the simple, rustic look though.

Merry Christmas, everyone!