Respected Contributor

looks like 10,000 calories in that photo

Respected Contributor

It's slightly sweet, cinnamon-enhanced and if you've never had it, shaddap! It's delicious. It's not Texas chili, a bowl-of-red or any such thing. It's a Greek inspired diner food and I'm telling you, it's really good. And yes, it's not diet food. I used to travel to Louisville (not Cincy) and always get a bowl and I miss it to this day.

Kids tend to like it. I also like the five-way (with spag, beans, onions and cheese) I think I'll make it this weekend, so thanks for the recipe.

Respected Contributor
On 1/9/2015 Carole22 said: Cincinnati native here and the secret to truly Cincinnati chili is NOT to brown the meat. You do put it in the water and spices to get a finer textire. The mix they sell on Amazon isn't bad either. For a couple bucks a pot, you only have to add your meat and tomato paste and simmer for about an hour. Just search Amazon for Cincinnati chili. By the way, I love Skyline chili at a chili parlor but NOT the canned Skyline chili. Way too little meat and too watery.

I knew about the water (it's the key to chili for hot dogs as well) but not about the mix. Thanks! I can't do canned or frozen. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Respected Contributor

It is so delicious but truth be told, unfortunately Cincinnati Chili is indeed very high in calories.

It is very satisfying, and also considered to be a comfort food.

Trusted Contributor

You can order it online. http://www.skylinechili.com/index.php

Regular Contributor
One more born, raised and still here a Cincinnatian signing in. We need our Skyline "fix" often, that being a 4-way and cheese coneys. Heaven!!!! Have made the recipe often when our family was still home, but now go to the local Skyline. Remember when they were 2 for 25 cents and we stopped to share them after school at Seton! Terrific memories. My brother and sister-in-law moved to Oklahoma in the early 80s and shared the recipe in his Company cookbook. That took guts being so near the Texas border and people who wouldn't give it a try, but it was their favorite recipe at the time. Guess you have to be raised on it to truly love it. Most of the original restaurants are Greek owned and operated and the ones in Cincinnati were started by Greek immigrants, and opened in a Irish/German neighborhood. Successful too! Many franchises have moved beyond the Queen City. My recipe is the same s BeachMom.....no chocolate. Love to see so many local posters on this board. High five to all. Cece
Honored Contributor

I recently tried a new Chili recipe I found here that had the chocolate, cumin and worcestershire sauce in it. It was NOT labelled as Cincy ...and it didn't have the ultra smooth beef, spag, cheese, cin, allspice etc.

However, the flavor ingredients were a bit similar. I have never put any of those in my chili b4! Especially chocolate!

We actually really liked it! It had a totally different flavor than I normally make. It did have garbanzo beans in it which we LOVED!

Mine always comes out 'Italian'...lol. Chunky tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, kidney and white beans, lots of hot sauces etc.

I can't wait to try this version! Sounds like another cold weekend coming...I will SAVE all my calories this week to try it Saturday.

Thanks for sharing!!