Honored Contributor

Christmas in June is too early even for me.

I'm shaking my head at this.

We've hardly had a taste of summer and we're supposed to be looking forward to winter already?

I've always been one to plan ahead, but even so, this is too early for me.  I'd really love to know the sales stats after this event. I assume QVC knows better than I do about this sort of thing, but it's hard to imagine anyone being excited about Chrismas on June 30th.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas in June is too early even for me.

I've been watching QVC for many years now and I believe they've always done CIJ.  While July 1 isn't until tomorrow, June 30 is pretty close.

Frequent Contributor

But wouldn't the sales from today count towards their 2nd quarter earnings especially if they ship out quickly? Whereas, tomorrow's sales count towards 3rd quarter earnings (July, Aug., Sept).

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am enjoying very much.  Switching back and forth between Q and Law and Order!  Have been watering, maintaining and repotting  house plants all day...my usual Sunday routine.  "Enjoyable".

Purchased the VPH Kalediscope Tree which I wanted last year and still love it this year.  There will be more new items to come so I don't want to get too crazy with purchases today.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat   It's not just Christmas in June/July shopping, on several channels I noticed flippen Christmas movies this weekend.  Nope, just no.

I basically don't do the Christmas hoopla.  grown kids, no grandchildren.  I do watch A Christmas Story Christmas day, and Diehard with the wonderful Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber, Ho  Ho  Ho.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Christmas is low-key for us, too.... grown kids, no grands yet. Still, I enjoy the holiday movies and baking and all that stuff when the time comes. For me, that's usually sometime in late October when I start getting tired of the 100° temps around here and start looking forward to the frigid 60s and 70s of our winter.  We had an unusually cold winter and spring this year, so I haven't had time to grow tired of the heat yet.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I bought two CIJ items.  I see the items as winter decor.  I go away for Christmas to visit family, that week in December is what represents Christmas to me.  I typically don't put up much decor.  Something new comes, something old goes.

People feel what they feel.  Nothing wrong with that.  Thought I'd share my perspective.  😊

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat   It was fun when the kids were young, even to mid-teens.  I did the whole cleaning, decorating, baking, buying and wrapping thing.  After picking up the piles of wrapping paper Christmas mornings I would look around ask why.  But I kept doing it.  When the kids graduated and went to college or work I stopped doing a lot.  They didn't care if I decorated or not.  Now they are in their mid and late 40's I  don't do it.

I love a pretty tree with the lights at night but all I can think of is I have to take all that stuff off and haul it upstairs again.

Decades ago there was a sweet little older (late 70's) woman in town and I went to her house near Christmas.  Oh dear heaven, it was a small house and every flat surface had something Christmasy on it.  The walls had wreaths, there was a big tree and several small ones etc.You didn't know where to look first. I had 2 thoughts,  I'm glad I don't have to dust here and it will take her until spring to pack it all up. No kids, either.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm enjoying the CIJ shows this weekend; as others have noted, it's only two days earlier than actual July, so it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. QVC has been doing CIJ since it became QVC (32 of its 33 years, anyway), and even though there's definitely more Christmas programming during the summer than there used to be, I'm not sure why people are always surprised/shocked about it all.

It typically drives me crazy when people say this, but I'm going to join the club for today: It's just not that hard to change the channel when you don't like what you're seeing. And I'm even applying it to myself; although I like CIJ, I had no interest in watching an all-holiday-food ITKWD, so I just did other things instead and then returned to see what David's Great Big Christmas might offer, and I'm looking forward to more Valerie.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

We have friends like that... it takes them weeks to take all the decorations out and weeks to put it all away. They did it for their kids, then their grandkids and now their great-grandchildren. I don't know where they get the energy.

~ house cat ~