Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas dinner party - need hor duerves ideas!

@aroc3435 wrote:

@camelot   Harris Teeter in DC had asparagus for week of November 20th through the 28th (for Thanksgiving) at $1.79 per pound.  So it is available in at least one supermarket chain.

@aroc3435 

just purchased three large containers of asparagus from the fresh market grocery store. it never leaves our shelves. it was delicious and the skinnier ones, which i like the best.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45   I like the slender stalks as well.  To me they have better texture and flavor.  I usually do my "big" shopping on Thurdays so I'm going to stroll over later today to check and see lif HT has gotten asparagus in again and at what price.

Had too many other kinds of food in play for Thanksgiving and couldn't justify buying a bunch last week--cart, fridge and freezer were filled to the max!

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I cut Italian sausage into small pieces and put them in a crock pot with a jar of honey.    They always disappear first and everyone asks for the recipe.  They can't believe it when I tell them.

It is not sticky or sweet.

Esteemed Contributor

This is a party hit:

Baked Onion Dip 

Honored Contributor

Went to a party once where mini Reubens were served. Slices of small rye bread w/corned beef,swiss cheese ,sauerkraut and Russian dressing. These were made and then warmed in the oven.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

My go to favorites are sausage balls, meatballs in spicy chili sauce, and mixing whole berry cranberry sauce with a can of green chilies poured over a block of cream cheese and eaten on crackers.

Respected Contributor

How about strombolli? I thaw out frozen Rhodes bread dough roll it out put in pepperoni, salami & provolone cheese bake it can be done the day before, the day you can reheat it, serve cold or room temp slice it on an angle. Or just use ham & cheese whatever. just roll dough out put in whatever, roll it up bake on directions of bread dough. I usually make 2 because it goes fast. 

Honored Contributor

A small log of good goat cheese with honey drizzled over it.  I have had several people who said they didn't like goat cheese go crazy over it.  Sometimes I put herbs on it, sometimes not. . . But it really makes the goat cheese taste great. 

Respected Contributor

I could make a meal with eveything, don't forget the low carb people get very small plastic cups put ranch dressing cut up celery sticks & carrots sticks put them inside they have their own container to double dip. 

Respected Contributor

I like to get the mozzarella sticks that are already wrapped with prosciutto, salami, pastrami, or pepperoni.  I cut them in thirds to make them bite-size and top with a good black or green olive then stick a toothpick through it all.  Bite-size and super easy to do ahead of time so you aren't rushed.

If you can find red or green pepper jelly, sweet pepper jelly and not spicy, and pour that over a block of room temp cream cheese, you can an instant sweet and salty treat to serve with crackers of your choice.  Everyone also likes a cheese board with cut up cheeses that are room temp.  You can do blocks or slices to top a cracker and some small salami or pepperoni rounds.

I too get tired of little smokies or meatballs in the BBQ/grape Jelly or chili sauce/cranberry or grape jelly sauce.  Kids love it.  Kids also love the little smokies wrapped with croissant rolls then baked for easy pigs in a blanket.

I recently did do some tortilla pinwheel wraps for a work function.  I got 12" tortillas, mixed a packet of ranch with two blocks of room temp cream cheese, picked up some good beef and ham plus some swiss and sharp cheddar thinly sliced cheese.  I spread the cream cheese thin, then laid enough cheese, and then meat to cover in one layer.  You do have to start it tight and don't spread the goodies to the far edge as it does shift in that direction as you wrap it.  Chilled till hard, or freeze until cream cheese is set to cut into 1/4" or so slices.  Four of each flavor made tons of pinwheels.  You could do the Knorr veggie dip or even bacon and chive mixed into the cream cheese and layer your preferred cheese, meat or diced veggies.  Ohhh, smoked salmon and some dill cream cheese would be good too if you wanted something more adult.  You could do it with different colored tortillas to change the presentation up.

You can also do a deconstructed Caprese salad.  I used the multi-colored cherry/grape tomatoes cut into half or quarters, halved small balls of mozzarella, tossed in some julienned basil and tossed in some olive oil/balsamic vinegar.  Use this alone or top some toasted french bread sliced.  Wonderful with feta cheese too!