Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas cookies in advance

@seaswirl wrote:

Pook:  What is the best way to pack the cookies for freezing?  I think that's the route I will take.

Thanks.

If you are packing the dough to freeze after making balls or cutting out or freezing the made cookies, always line the container (I use mostly Lock N Lock but have used other kinds - even cheap ones) thoroughly with plastic wrap (cheaper brands of plastic wrap often have a smell so I always use Glad or Saran Wrap).   Then put a layer of plastic wrap between each layer so even if some air gets in it won't affect all the cookies.  For glazed cookies, use waxed paper between layers and make sure every cookie is covered.  Make sure they are cooled completely and any glazes or icings dry before packing.  You could also ice the cookes before putting them out to serve if you want.  I make a thumbprint like cookie with a cream cheese icing in the center and I do that when making the cookie trays.  If you are not using or thawing all the frozen cookies then make sure they are wrapped well before putting them back in the freezer.  The frozen cookies will not break down, dry out or loose taste doing this like cookies made and kept out of the freezer for more than a day or two.  

You'll be surprised at how freeing it is not to have to make the cookies a day or two before Christmas.

Have fun.