Honored Contributor

Christmas Morning

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, the bakery we loved here closed last year.  There is only one bakery within driving distance and all pastry items are over browned.  Cakes are good.  Fresh Market doesn't have a full service bakery.  It's cookies on tables in containers and I have complained constantly with no results.

I used to do fruit danish and Christmas stollen with coffee and juice.  When our son, DIL, and the grandsons come, they've had a little cereal with their Santa clause.

They get here around 11:00 and we eat while we open presents here. We finish opening about 1:00 pm.   Late lunch (Christmas dinner) is about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs later.

What kind of breakfast do you do on Christmas?

Regular Contributor

I make banana bread with chocolate chips and sprinkles. 

Respected Contributor

Pretty much the same as I do everyday. Siggi's non-fat yogurt, topped with berries and a couple tablespoons of lower fat granola and/or toasted coconut. It's just me, and I like to enjoy a little peace in the morning before the mayhem of the rest of the day kicks in. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

homemade popovers - easy and delicious -  and different so special.  they accompany half a grapefruit, slowly scrambled creamy eggs.   our breakfast is after opening of presents with a bit of champagne and  coffeecake.

Honored Contributor

Just my DH and me here.  He does coffee and I might do a little juice.  I am in the kitchen at  6 am cooking away. There is no time for breakfast.

After cooking all day, I am never in the mood to eat.  I mostly spend holidays working and cleaning up eating very little.

Esteemed Contributor

I will probably pick up something from the Polish Deli in town. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG as it's just me  and knowing me it may very well be a hotdog but if you are preparing for many if you have a Costco by you they have delicious pastries and croissants and also if you have a GFS by you, they have several delicious breakfast entrees to pop in the oven that can feed a crowd and are delicious too!

Esteemed Contributor

We no longer live near a good bakery, where I would pick up jelly donuts and danish.  In the past, we would have homemade Belgium waffles or french toast using Costco's country french bread (makes delicious french toast), eggs piperade, and either bacon or hot sausage.  Now, my husband is attending diabetes prevention classes, so I guess I will make Ina Garten's Sunday morning oatmeal and dream of breakfasts past.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

homemade popovers - easy and delicious -  and different so special.  they accompany half a grapefruit, slowly scrambled creamy eggs.   our breakfast is after opening of presents with a bit of champagne and  coffeecake.

@ms traditionalHow do you make your yummy popovers please?  Do you also make your coffee cake?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@ECBG as it's just me  and knowing me it may very well be a hotdog but if you are preparing for many if you have a Costco by you they have delicious pastries and croissants and also if you have a GFS by you, they have several delicious breakfast entrees to pop in the oven that can feed a crowd and are delicious too!

@momtochloe,Thank you so much.  We have never had a Costco.