Respected Contributor

Chopping/grinding fresh meat in VitaMix?

I am certain I either saw or heard the VitaMix rep state that it's possible to make your own ground meat, but I have checked the cookbook and it doesn't give instructions.  Has anyone done this?  I would appreciate the directions.  I don't like buying ground meat at the grocery store; prefer doing it myself.  We have a grinder, but I think the VitaMix would easier.

Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Re: Chopping/grinding fresh meat in VitaMix?

I recently saw Jan demonstrate this on the Vitamix show, but couldn't find a recipe in my Vitamix recipe book. However, I did it myself, and it turned out great. I don't like to buy ground beef any longer, so I started grinding my own.

I used a small sirloin steak. First, I chopped onions in the Vitamix. I added chunks of the steak, plus some wostershire sauce for flavor. I thought it needed a little liquid. 

I used the lower speed (you will have to experiment a little), and it was ground quickly. I shaped into patties and cooked on my grill pan. Next time I may add some pork for a little more flavor. I might also add some bread crumbs after I ground the meat to help it hold together a little better. 

Respected Contributor

Day1128,

Thanks so much!  I wonder why this isn't in the book since he demonstrates it on QVC.  About how much can you do at one time?  1 cup or more or less?  Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

I do it in my food processor, so it's the same.  As instructed, just cut it into chunks, put it in, and turn it on!  Smiley Happy   If you want to add anything to the meat, just add it in after it's pretty much 'ground'.

Although I do have a Vitamix, I rather prefer doing the meat-grinding task in my Cuisinart mainly because it's a lot wider so it's easier to get everything out and clean it.

Of course, with the Vitamix, you just do the soap and hot water, turn it on, cleaning process.  But with meat I'd be concerned that I didn't get all theraw meat out of there so I'd probably further clean it.   That's just me.  I'm neurotic.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I heard some place to make sure the meat is real cold before chopping.

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

milkbone wrote:

I heard some place to make sure the meat is real cold before chopping.

That really does make sense.  I would imagine that if it is room temperature or warm-ish it would probably gum up a bit.   

Valued Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Day1128,

Thanks so much!  I wonder why this isn't in the book since he demonstrates it on QVC.  About how much can you do at one time?  1 cup or more or less?  Thanks again!

I do less than a cup of cubed beef at one time. I didn't even have to use the tamper. If you do more, you might need to use the tamper. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone!

Honored Contributor

I turn my VM or food processor on and then drop the chunks of meat in--seems not to get stuck in the blades. Also I add everything with the meat too but when it's running. I've had no problem with it getting too mushy or not chopped finely enough.