Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chopping eggs for egg salad.

Well not sure if you can still buy these, I use a can opener like they used to use to punch a hole in a soda can years ago or lift off the bottle cap.

You just take the pointed end and put it on a jar lid by the place that latches it.  When pressed down it breaks the seal and voila!

I also put plastic grocery bags in empty tissue boxes so they're stored somewhat neatlly until I need to use one.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Kachina624   I've done it this way for a few years now.  I do it for eggs in macaroni or potato salad too.

When I did it today it occurred to me that maybe some have never tried it.  The first time I used the pastry cutter instead of a knife I wondered why I hadn't done it from the get go.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Good tip. I use the pastery cutter for a large number of eggs or if I want large pieces. For just one or two I use a rotating slicer that I found in BBB years ago. Put the peeled egg in and slice..  Rotate the base and slice the other way.  Perfect little squares for egg salad. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use my Rikon pull chop for ham, tuna, chicken salad, and to mix the filling for deviled eggs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have a wire rack, like you'd use to cool cakes... place the rack over a bowl and push the eggs through.  Bam!  It takes seconds.  I think I learned the trick from the Pioneer Woman's show and have never done it any other way since then.

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 5.11.17 PM.png

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I use a fork to shred the eggs to make egg salad. 

Super Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

I use a egg slicer

I slice them one direction, then turn the egg halfway around and slice it again to make smal cubes.  Easy.

I just made an egg salad sandwich this evening and this is exactly how I make it.  I use my mothers old egg slicer -- it has metal wires for cutting -- and it must be 75 years old and still works great.

Honored Contributor

I just hold it in my left hand, use a butter knife and slice it up. I slice it longways on the top and side, then cut slices off that.  All holding it in my left hand.  

Honored Contributor

I hate the commercially prepared potato salad they serve at banquets and big dinners in Texas.  It's always made of mushy mashed potatoes which I consider to be inedible.  Awful stuff.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 ~ I've been using a pastry blender (for years) as well. Works great, and yes, quick too!

Esteemed Contributor

All great tips.  Thank you ladies!