Trusted Contributor

Re: Chopped w/Martha Stewart

I didn't see the Martha Stewart episode, but I watch this show all the time.

I can understand not liking it for various reasons, but I don't see waste of food as one of them.  How much food is really wasted???

The contestants actually make small amounts of food for the various judges.  The judges eat the food, sometimes most of it, sometimes not, but I just don't see that the portions uneaten amount to very much.

If you are concerned about waste of food, you should probably look into all that food that is wasted in restaurants, supermarket prepared food, etc.  I often look at that, knowing that tons of it has to be thrown away.  Now THAT's a shame.

CHOPPED wasting food is small potatoes really.  Pun intended.

Respected Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

I didn't see the Martha Stewart episode, but I watch this show all the time.

I can understand not liking it for various reasons, but I don't see waste of food as one of them.  How much food is really wasted???

The contestants actually make small amounts of food for the various judges.  The judges eat the food, sometimes most of it, sometimes not, but I just don't see that the portions uneaten amount to very much.

If you are concerned about waste of food, you should probably look into all that food that is wasted in restaurants, supermarket prepared food, etc.  I often look at that, knowing that tons of it has to be thrown away.  Now THAT's a shame.

CHOPPED wasting food is small potatoes really.  Pun intended.

well said. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

It took me until almost till the last post to realize that Martha was a judge, not actually cooking.

I remember reading that she was going to be a judge. 

Chopped is not a cooking show. 

wasteful? ok, but  I guess you could say that about any of the cooking shows.

complainers can always find something to complain about.  

Can't find anything to complain about? perhaps you were offended or somehow treated unfairly. Those are always popular.

@kittyloo

Complaining - false; voicing an opinion - true.  Imho, those with differing opinions should not be dissed as a complainer nor judged as previously offended or unfairly treated.  That I find as unfair and offensive.  C'est la vie!Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@blueroses47

You are so right on about food wasted by restaurants and grocery stores.

In my area, the local grocery store donates 'leftovers' to local food banks.  And, at the town dump there is a container for 'garbage' - stuff we'd normally toss out and a local farmer picks it up for his livestock.  So, if bananas are a little too ripe off they go!

Honored Contributor

I have known many people who did not have enough food as children. This was a long time ago and not so long ago. It makes me sad to see food wasted.

Honored Contributor

If I can find the article(s) I'll post it but I remember reading about how the FN donates as much as they can after each show/competition so there is as little waste as possible as they are very conscious of hunger in America. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1I watched it too as I was cooking. I wanted to see what Martha brought to the table, so to speak. Granted, I wasn't paying close attention, but it seemed that the food was already so elevated that the chef's kind of ruined the individual ingredients rather than enhancing them. That Iberico ham! I would have preferred to just eat it as is - like really good prosciutto. Same with the snow peas. Nothing better than standing in my garden munching on raw snow peas! And the camel milk chocolate from Dubai! Well, just leave me alone with it for a while!

Honored Contributor

There is a great bias in this country, and a lot of hard feelings, toward anything that is what someone would deem expensive.  It's as if anything not coming from Wal Mart is a sin.  

I always think and yes, people in third world countries should hate anyone who has running water or a roof over their heads if that's ok to feel that way.

We can all look around us and see people who have more or less than we do, and it doesn't say anything at all about what kind of person they are. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Watched last evening. Yeah,I know change the channel.The food was costly-very-and the Food Network bragged about it. As Mom would say it was a sin! 

Food Network does commercials about people not having enough to eat and then does a show like this.

@Group 5 minus 1  If you feel that strongly, quit complaining about it here and change the world.  You can feed the hungry.  You have all kinds of time on your hands.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I didn't watch because I'm not a Martha fan, but then I don't like Alex either and tend not to watch when she's on.  

I watch forged in fire as well, they seem to waste a lot of food.  Who knows maybe they donate it?

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*