Honored Contributor

Watched last evening. Yeah,I know change the channel.The food was costly-very-and the Food Network bragged about it. As Mom would say it was a sin! 

Food Network does commercials about people not having enough to eat and then does a show like this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Chopped w/Martha Stewart

@Group 5 minus 1

The theme of the show was upscale foods, chopped usually has a theme. I would not think badly of them, they are very conscious of people who need help

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Watched last evening. Yeah,I know change the channel.The food was costly-very-and the Food Network bragged about it. As Mom would say it was a sin! 

Food Network does commercials about people not having enough to eat and then does a show like this.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1  What's your point?  It was a show about costly food ingredients.  I can't see any "sin" being committed here.  It's made-for-tv entertainment.  I watched it and enjoyed it.  If it had been about canned peas I wouldn't have been interested.

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1

I totally agree with you.  Though I did not see that show, you are right - totally wasteful, imho.  But, other find it entertaining so it's still on, sadly.

My gripe with that type of show is that I feel it's wrong in so many ways.  It's not tutorial, so just having a cooking contest certainly doesn't help would-be cooks.  The amounts of food wasted, for mere entertainment is definitely shameful.  I think of all the hungry people, young and old, in this country alone, and this wastefulness angers me.  Then, thinking about all the poor innocent animals slaughtered for nothing, just mere entertainment, angers me.  I remember my mother talking to me as a child, I did not want to eat animals.  She was a farmgirl; and, explained to me these animals gave up their lives but were honored as every portion of the animal was used.  Also, in those days it was a "kind-kill" (an oxymoron), but livestock today are poorly treated - definitely shameful.

So, I wouldn't consider watching a bunch of overfed, self-proclaimed experts dole out a winning contestant big bucks when the entire show's concept is so despicably wasteful.  Shame on Martha for taking part - guess she can't get enough $$$.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme. Do you actually watch the Food Network? I can count on one hand the shows that actually show how to cook. All the shows now are fun and games and not about teaching. The channel has changed from what it was. 

The only channels that teach something are the PBS cooking shows. Food Network is now for entertainment.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@eddyandme. Do you actually watch the Food Network? I can count on one hand the shows that actually show how to cook. All the shows now are fun and games and not about teaching. The channel has changed from what it was. 

The only channels that teach something are the PBS cooking shows. Food Network is now for entertainment.

No, @proudlyfromNJ.  Years ago, used to enjoy it as there was teaching/ideas given in an entertaining manner.  Everytime I check it now, it's stupidity - like the aforementioned in this topic.  Guy's foodroad show is totally disgusting - showing people all over the country pigging out and his joining right in.  If I do catch Ina's, Pioneer's or Giarda(?), I do watch.  I don't need to watch Rachael or Valerie, etc., don't think they're anything special cooking-wise.

Honored Contributor

Seriously?????????????????

"people pigging out all over the country and him joining in" ??????????????

DDD highlights Mom and Pop restaurants all over the U.S.  People seem to be enjoying their food.  Who are we to call them pigs?

The promo of these small establishments is very valuable to the hard working owners and staff.

One such diner featured in our town consistently now has a waiting line.  Good for them, their employees and the town.

Sin of wasting food on Chopped?  Good grief!  It is a competition!  I'm sure the hard working, underpaid winners appreciate the chance for a prize.

Esteemed Contributor

i thought martha was obnoxious.....jmo....

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

i thought martha was obnoxious.....jmo....

@nana59.  I also thought she was. And I like Martha. She didn't seem very helpful in her critiquing.

Respected Contributor

It took me until almost till the last post to realize that Martha was a judge, not actually cooking.

I remember reading that she was going to be a judge. 

Chopped is not a cooking show. 

wasteful? ok, but  I guess you could say that about any of the cooking shows.

complainers can always find something to complain about.  

Can't find anything to complain about? perhaps you were offended or somehow treated unfairly. Those are always popular.