Honored Contributor

Re: Chopped salad - is there a kitchen gadget?

@Sooner...it's a salad (with all the ingredients you like on a salad) but chopped into tiny pieces......which for me makes it taste better!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a cool gadget I saw on Facebook once- Called the "Chopped Salad Bowl" or something like that..looked kind of like a colander with slots - you fill it with the ingredients,  you insert the knife, slice, then turn, slice again and VOILA!! It looked fun and easy and I remember thinking howeasy  it seemed!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've owned this one for years  since it was first advertised on QVC or another channel.

.  I don't use it often, but mine is very well made and  really works to chop up a bowl of miscellaneous salad ingredients.

Available from Amazon.  $13.99.  (I probably paid a lot more.)  Has hugely favorable ratings from users.

Trudeau Toss and Chop Salad Tongs

Here's just one of the hundreds of reviews..

<<One of the greatest inventions of the 21st century. It'll chop your salad to the perfect size. And side benefit: you'll live longer since you can use less dressing (this does a great job mixing the dressing as you chop) and with smaller bites your chances of choking go down if you like to inhale and not chew things. Plus you can use it to cut chicken or anything else. Trust me. It's great. I bought a few and keep one at work. It really is a simple yet amazing invention. And much less expensive than the version from Pampered Chef.>>

Honored Contributor

@novamc1.  Wow, that gadget is really interesting. I can't make heads or tails of it. I'll have to do some research. Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs---believe it or not---Subway will turn many of their sandwiches into chopped salads--not with the bread, of course-- and they use a Mezzeluna---was amazed at how well it did. I do this alot as I am eating a restricted carbs diet. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ

I agree the photo leaves a person wondering what that gadget really looks like.  

Basically, the scooper part shown at the bottom can be used to scoop up ingredients in the bowl, and then two very heavy-duty knife-like blades press down to chop the salad.

The name on the blade of mine says "Silvermark Stainless Steel" and one blade has a patent number.  

Here is another photo of the Silvermark Toss & Chop tool:

Silvermark-Toss-Chop-green

Valued Contributor

The ones on QVC are the same as the Trudeau ones on Amazon.  The QVC item number (and there is a video) is K45888.   I do not own them but have them in a wish list just in case I change my mind sometime!

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ

I agree the photo leaves a person wondering what that gadget really looks like.  

Basically, the scooper part shown at the bottom can be used to scoop up ingredients in the bowl, and then two very heavy-duty knife-like blades press down to chop the salad.

The name on the blade of mine says "Silvermark Stainless Steel" and one blade has a patent number.  

Here is another photo of the Silvermark Toss & Chop tool:

Silvermark-Toss-Chop-green

@novamc1.  Ok, thanks, got you now.

Esteemed Contributor

Not (probably) really the answer, but I have found that with a nice bundled head of romaine hearts, cut short-wise down the stem (chiffonade, in a way), then chopping those the other way with a little rocking motion (santuko or chef's knife), I get great and really tasty pieces.  They do seem better this way!  Nicely chilled in an earthenware bowl - yum!  A dash of sweet white vinegar - yum.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I use my food processor to slice/chop the veggies and my chef knife to chop the romain.  Never tried to chop the romain with the processor.  But I might just try it.Woman Happy

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)