Honored Contributor

Re: Chopped salad - is there a kitchen gadget?

@Sooner

yup it's a salad & you're making your version!  I must say when it's "chopped" don't know why it tastes better -- maybe easier to chew!

🙂

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I've owned this one for years  since it was first advertised on QVC or another channel.

.  I don't use it often, but mine is very well made and  really works to chop up a bowl of miscellaneous salad ingredients.

Available from Amazon.  $13.99.  (I probably paid a lot more.)  Has hugely favorable ratings from users.

Trudeau Toss and Chop Salad Tongs

Here's just one of the hundreds of reviews..

<<One of the greatest inventions of the 21st century. It'll chop your salad to the perfect size. And side benefit: you'll live longer since you can use less dressing (this does a great job mixing the dressing as you chop) and with smaller bites your chances of choking go down if you like to inhale and not chew things. Plus you can use it to cut chicken or anything else. Trust me. It's great. I bought a few and keep one at work. It really is a simple yet amazing invention. And much less expensive than the version from Pampered Chef.>>

@novamc1 wrote:

I've owned this one for years  since it was first advertised on QVC or another channel.

.  I don't use it often, but mine is very well made and  really works to chop up a bowl of miscellaneous salad ingredients.

Available from Amazon.  $13.99.  (I probably paid a lot more.)  Has hugely favorable ratings from users.

Trudeau Toss and Chop Salad Tongs

Here's just one of the hundreds of reviews..

<<One of the greatest inventions of the 21st century. It'll chop your salad to the perfect size. And side benefit: you'll live longer since you can use less dressing (this does a great job mixing the dressing as you chop) and with smaller bites your chances of choking go down if you like to inhale and not chew things. Plus you can use it to cut chicken or anything else. Trust me. It's great. I bought a few and keep one at work. It really is a simple yet amazing invention. And much less expensive than the version from Pampered Chef.>>

Is this the one that was sold on QVC years ago?  I remember they sold a lot and then I think the vendor went to HSN.  I think that vendor/company only sold that one item.  They sold a lot of them!

Trusted Contributor

What salads do you like from Subway?

Respected Contributor

Here is a pic of what is at Amazon called a Salad Cutter Bowl.

This one gets 474 reviews at 3.4 starts.  It is the best reviewed of them all.  The pics are from the customer pics.  I think this may give you the results you are looking for without the mess.  Other than that, a mezzaluna knife is the next neatest thing with a solid wooden bowl for chopping in so the salad doesn't go everywhere.
Honored Contributor

@Tigriss: Thanks for sharing. I really like the price and added this to my shopping cart.Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for the photos of gadgets and answering my question, it was much appreciated.  I think the 'chopped' salads taste better - not sure why!!

Honored Contributor

Best Chopped Salad I ever had was at the Columbia Restaurant in Clearwater Beach, FL

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

Years ago. I bought a salad chopper on QVC when Bob Bowersox was a host.  He had the lady on who invented it. Still works great,   Go to Am***n.com & look at the Toss & Chop tongs.  It looks like the one I bought. It has 300 reviews.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Best Chopped Salad I ever had was at the Columbia Restaurant in Clearwater Beach, FL

and the salad dressing is to die for!!!!  one of my fav restaurants to take company.  In fact, last week we went to the one in Ybor City.

A nice time to go is when it's Christmas -- beautifully decorated 

Honored Contributor

I am seeing that the chopped salads are mostly iceberg and Romaine lettuce.  Maybe part of the appeal they are crispy salads unlike spring mix and spinach. 

I always buy those three organic hearts of Romaine in a package and wash, dry and chop them myself.  Sometimes I add other greens but I always have a base of the Romaine and go from there.  I make my own dressings too.