Honored Contributor

Chilly day warm up with homemade soup

It's a gloomy high of 53 degrees here today ☃️🌨 in the south.

What better than making a big pot of chicken orzo soup and just enjoyed for late lunch!

Spouse said save some for me😁

6F9BEDCB-0733-43D6-8A66-D26E045B9FC4.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: Chilly day warm up with homemade soup

Looks scrumptious!  If you were my neighbor I would "just happen" to stop over at lunchtime!

Honored Contributor

Enjoy your soup. It looks Delish. We just finished some beef stew I made last week.

It warmed up here some today with sun & 64°. Suppose to get cold again next weekend.

DH is making ribeye steaks on the grill tonight. Have not ate a steak in a while.

Esteemed Contributor

Yum. I could eat soup once a day. Wish my hubs felt the same way. I'd make it more. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Boy would I love 53 as we are in the 30's just above freezing. But yes I love soup when it is cold.

Honored Contributor

"Lemon Chicken and Orzo Soup" from Cook's Country is one of my favorites.  It's fast and easy too:

2 tbsp butter

1 small onion, chopped

8 cups chicken broth

2 sprigs parsley

1 cup orzo

6 egg yolks

6 tbsp lemon juice

2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken

Melt butter in big saucepan.  Stir in onion over medium heat until softened.  Stir in broth, parsley, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper, then bring to boil over medium-high heat.  Stir in orzo until tender.  Remove from heat and throw away parsley.

Whisk egg yolks and lemon juice in dish.  Slowly pour into hot soup while whisking constantly.  Stir in chicken, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes.  

Honored Contributor

We're in the 40's in the Carolinas and I've got chili in the Crock-Pot 

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

Boy would I love 53 as we are in the 30's just above freezing. But yes I love soup when it is cold.

@CLHS68 

Spouse is laughing because I'm "cold" just spent 2 beautiful weeks up north when it was windy, cold, high 30s and I went to soccer games & hockey games...yet, temp drops below 80 here I act like a baby😉

Of course, I was dressed for cold.  Here my attire is flip flops & shorts year round😉

Stay warm🙂