Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chile without tomato sauce

Can you cook the tomatoes and eat them OK? You could puree a few Roma tomatoes and add them at the end of cooking time. I did this for the kids when they were small because they did not like 'chunks' of stuff in their food. Did it for onions and peppers also. They liked the flavors just not 'chunks' in anything.

Maybe it is the additives and not just the tomatoes in the canned products.

Frequent Contributor

I also was going to suggest a white chili. I made a delicious white chili with chicken that was from Taste of Home.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/10/2015 Lakegirl said: I also was going to suggest a white chili. I made a delicious white chili with chicken that was from Taste of Home.

So was I. There are many really good recipes out there. Try allrecipes.com, too.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

This got me thinking that I would look for a recipe using tomatillos. I'm unable to eat tomatoes in any form, as my gut doth protest. This has be really interested in checking tomatillos out. Think I'll check Food Network and Bobby Flay for a chile.

Esteemed Contributor

I found a couple and apparently in some areas of the country it it quite common.....

True Texas Chili

2 Lbs. lean beef
1 onion, chopped
3 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil or lard
3-4 Tbsp. Chili powder
3 tsp. cumin
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. oregano
2-3c beef broth
Salt and Pepper, to tase

Heat up skillet over med high heat add beef and brown on both sides for 2-3minutes.
Add onion and garlic cook 2 more minutes
Turn heat to med- low and spices to meat and brown for another 1 minute
Add flour and broth to meat mix, making sure to scrape up all the stuff and the bottom of the pan. Let cook on low until the meat is tender about 3 hours
Enjoy with cheese, sour cream, or other toppings you like.

Tex-Mex Chili

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
21/2 pounds cubed beef chuck
2 cups chopped onions
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons sweet paprika (Hungarian is best)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
1 cup water
2 teaspoons crushed hot red pepper, or to taste
1 tablespoon masa harina (Mexican corn flour available in some supermarkets or Hispanic markets)
1/4 cup water

Cook beef in the hot oil in a heavy pan, turning and browning thoroughly on all sides. Stir in onion and garlic and cook, stirring, over medium heat for about 10 minutes.

Add paprika and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 more minutes. Add the salt, cup of water and crushed hot red pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over very low heat for 3 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork. (Or place in a 300-degree oven.)

Stir together the masa harina and remaining water. Stir into the chili and cook 10 minutes longer. Taste and adjust the seasonings.

Super Contributor

Zhills, I never thought of that! I will give that a whirl! And the white Chile sounds really good too! Where theres a will theres a way :-)

Respected Contributor

Man I am cooking chili right this second.

ground beef, onions, red bell pepper, garlic clove chopped. diced tomato with habanero peppers, black beans made for chili, salt, pepper a little italian seasoning and sorry an 8 oz can of tomato sauce lol. My apartment smells like heaven