Super Contributor

Does anyone have a recipe for Chile without tomatoe sauce? Tomatoe sauce gives me heartburn. Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Chile without tomato sauce

I have never used tomato sauce or paste in my chili. I use diced tomatoes and sometimes a little canned tomato juice.
Honored Contributor

I always use V8 instead of tomato sauce.

1.5 lb ground beef, lean

2 cans chili beans

1 can black or red beans

1 can petite diced tomatoes

2 cans V8

French's Chili-O

Onion

Pepper

Dash of Tobasco sauce.

Brown beef, put in strainer to drain. Sear onions a little, just until they begin to soften. Add tomatoes and 1 V8. Stir in 1/2 to 1 packet of French's Chili-O (I use 1/2 and save the other half for next time but I know people who prefer the whole pack). Add beef and the other two cans of beans and second V8. Add 1 tsp pepper and dash of Tobasco. Simmer. You can add more V8 if it's too thick. Let it cool and it'll thicken even more.

You can add other kinds of beans or spices as you like.

Super Contributor

Thank you so much for these suggestions!

Super Contributor

Calmin, your recipe is very similar to mine. I use V8 instead of tomato juice if I have V8 on hand. I don't drain the meat. After the chili has simmered a while, I add 1/2 can of beer and simmer a few more minutes. That is the only thing I put alcohol in when I cook. The chili is great without it but it is even better with beer in it.
Trusted Contributor

Just asking???? Do you not have problems with tomatoes, or tomato paste.....Just tomato sauce???? I do have several recipes for chili sauce for your traditional hot dogs, that do not contain tomato sauce that are very good...........Kiss

I personally do not use V8, as the celery influence in it turns me away, but I do know of some that use it...and I have used Mr & Mrs T bold and spicy bloody mary mix, and I drink it all on it's own all the time.........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Super Contributor

The only kind of tomato that doesn't bother me is the tomato itself. Once it becomes paste, sauce or even V8 the heartburn begins. I used to love making Chile, but now I have to avoid it. Ive never heard of an alternative, but am hopeful there is something out there.

Frequent Contributor

This tastes like regular chili, but might be a little thicker. You could probably just replace the tomato sauce with plain pumpkin in any other chili recipe too.

Pumpkin Chili

1 medium onion chopped
1.5 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 can (14.5oz) lower sodium chicken broth
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 to 1.25# lean ground turkey cooked
1 can (15oz) plain pumpkin
1 can (10oz) Rotel tomatoes
2 teaspoons dried cilantro
3 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

1.Saute onion and garlic in oil til tender.
2.Transfer to 5 qt slow cooker.
3.Stir in remaining ingredients.
4.Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.

Can also be cooked on the stove.

Super Contributor

On 1/10/2015 forrestwolf said:

Just asking???? Do you not have problems with tomatoes, or tomato paste.....Just tomato sauce???? I do have several recipes for chili sauce for your traditional hot dogs, that do not contain tomato sauce that are very good...........Kiss

I personally do not use V8, as the celery influence in it turns me away, but I do know of some that use it...and I have used Mr & Mrs T bold and spicy bloody mary mix, and I drink it all on it's own all the time.........Cool

I hear ya on the celery {#emotions_dlg.w00t} I love cilantro, which many people detest, but I absolutely can't bear celery in any form.

Frequent Contributor

You can also make a white chili. Tasteofhome.com has a couple that I've tried and enjoyed.