Honored Contributor

Chicken embryo in carton of eggs

I hard boiled six eggs from a carton I just bought on Saturday from a grocery store.  They were sitting in cold water to cool when DH asked if I wanted him to peel them.  I gave him the go ahead and they next thing he is yelling for me to come see see them.

Two of the eggs had actual chicken embryos in them.  You could actually see their heads and their body..it looked like what you would see if an egg fell out of a bird nest and broke.

I was shocked and never saw this before.  I have seen fertilized eggs before, but nothing like this.  I would think this would be impossible.  I can't imagine a rooster would be around chickens in a commercial operation.  Anyhow it was gross.

Anyone else ever see this in store bought eggs?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chicken embryo in carton of eggs

@Carmie wrote:

I hard boiled six eggs from a carton I just bought on Saturday from a grocery store.  They were sitting in cold water to cool when DH asked if I wanted him to peel them.  I gave him the go ahead and they next thing he is yelling for me to come see see them.

Two of the eggs had actual chicken embryos in them.  You could actually see their heads and their body..it looked like what you would see if an egg fell out of a bird nest and broke.

I was shocked and never saw this before.  I have seen fertilized eggs before, but nothing like this.  I would think this would be impossible.  I can't imagine a rooster would be around chickens in a commercial operation.  Anyhow it was gross.

Anyone else ever see this in store bought eggs?

@Carmie    OMG  That would so turn me off from eating another egg!!!  I Love eggs , so I hope I never see that.  UGH

Honored Contributor

I've never seen one myself. In some countries that is considered a delicacy called balut.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie   Goodness, no!  Thankfully no.  Hope you can "unremember" this experience.  Were they just run of the mill eggs or the more special "cage free," free range, or organic variety.

Two full moons this month so I guess you and your husbnd had your early All Hallows Eve "trick" for the month.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Honored Contributor

YUP!  The supermarket near me recently switched egg vendors because of fertilized egg complaints.  I live in a farming community so fertilized eggs are not all that unusual.

When I purchase eggs, I always hold each one up to the light before I purchase.  You look for a "dark" spot.  If you spot one, put the carton back.  My mother taught me that.

"I can't imagine a rooster would be around chickens in a commercial operation."

Usually there are 1 or 2.  #2 is the backup! Smiley LOL  The roosters are there mainly for show.  From time to time they get crafty in their ways. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately, yes. We call them "cheggs" 🤢😆

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I heard about something like this happening a couple of years ago, and it has been my nightmare when bringing eggs home ever since!  I know the odds of it happening are very small, but it only took hearing about it that one time to freak me out!

It's like the time in elementary school when I sipped my lunchtime small carton of milk and it was thick and chunky.  I am 59 years old and have not had milk of any kind since.  

Respected Contributor

One time...I was a little surprised but just tossed it & continued with the recipe.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get eggs from the girl next door...she has 150 free range hens and maybe 8 Or so free range roosters...I'm thinking most of the eggs are fertilized....

She collects a couple times a day...washes and refrigerates them...to me in order for a embryo to grow those eggs were left out in a warm environment...for quite a long time...it needs warmth to develop..100.5°F the internet says...21 days to hatch...

I have never had that happen with her eggs.....DW

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Carmie   Goodness, no!  Thankfully no.  Hope you can "unremember" this experience.  Were they just run of the mill eggs or the more special "cage free," free range, or organic variety.

Two full moons this month so I guess you and your husbnd had your early All Hallows Eve "trick" for the month.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

@Carmie 

Hoping you'll come back and answer @aroc3435 's question, because that's what I was wondering, too. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett