Honored Contributor

Chicken Caccitori

[ Edited ]

I wanted something with basil, oregano, and tomatoes.  I didn't want to make spaghetti sauce in this heat.  I made chicken caccitori.  Stewed chicken, tomatoes,  tomato sauce, green peppers. onions,  fresh mushrooms,  wine, basil and a little oregano.   I put it over angel hair pasta with fresh Parmesan. Reheats like a dream!  I served it with apple sauce since we've had SO many salads and broccoli with cheese.20190710_192236.jpg

Honored Contributor

Looks really good.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yes, please.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG 

Looks absolutely delicious.  

Do you stew the chicken prior to combining it with the other ingredients?  

Honored Contributor

@trenet wrote:

@ECBG 

Looks absolutely delicious.  

Do you stew the chicken prior to combining it with the other ingredients?  

@trenet Yes, I do since it needs to be skimmed.  I cool it and pull into bite size pieces.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG 

That would make it easier to eat too!  Decades ago at a nice Italian restaurant, I ordered chicken cacciatore - the chicken was still on the bone! Tasty, but I never ordered it again, it was so difficult to eat! 

Honored Contributor

Looks great. I love a chicken spaghetti combination.

Honored Contributor

@trenet wrote:

@ECBG 

That would make it easier to eat too!  Decades ago at a nice Italian restaurant, I ordered chicken cacciatore - the chicken was still on the bone! Tasty, but I never ordered it again, it was so difficult to eat! 

@trenet I created a lower fat version.   It was originally fried chicken simmered in sauce.  It seemed needlessly calorie laden.  At that time skinless, boneless  breasts weren't the norm.

Valued Contributor

I usually make a large batch and freeze it.  Freezes great for a quick dinner.  DH does not love chicken so I usually do both chicken and Italian sausage in the pot.  It gives a nice seasoning to the sauce.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting this, I haven't made it in years.  So tired of the same plain old spaghetti with meat sauce.