Valued Contributor

Re: Chex Mix -- No Longer Fashionable?

@tiny 2

I use a little bit more butter in my recipe and not much worchestershire sauce as I don't care for it much so I only use about a tsp to give it a little zing. I put all ing in a big bowl and nuke it for 3 min, stirring after each min then just pour it onto paper towels to cool.

cookin

Honored Contributor

I never did care for Chex Mix.  Never made it but have munched a little at parties.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Contributor

My family likes the homemade Chex mix! A holiday tradition! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

good for fiber, but, between all the natural salt on pretzels, etc. then you add all the other salts.

Just to salty

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

@tiny 2

I use a little bit more butter in my recipe and not much Worcestershire sauce as I don't care for it much so I only use about a tsp to give it a little zing. I put all in in a big bowl and nuke it for 3 min, stirring after each min then just pour it onto paper towels to cool.

cookin

@cookinfreak, Thank you!Heart I have an acquaintance that made some in the microwave and I noticed that it seemed more crispy. I liked it better. She never will share a recipe so I did not ask. Is it difficult to get the seasonings evenly dispersed in the mix since you use less Worcestershire? I usually make it in the oven spread out in a thin layer and spray on the seasoning mixure.LOL. Thank you for the technique. I can't wait to make it.

Valued Contributor

@tiny 2

I know a couple of people who don't like to share recipes either. To me, it is a great compliment when someone asks me for a recipe.

What I usually do when I make it, is put the melted butter (I melt the butter in the same big bowl I use to  cook it) and seasonings in the bowl first, and mix that well, then add my nuts, cereals and whatever I want to include in it. Then I use the spatula/spoon utensil and stir it very well before I start to nuke it.

I use the cheddar fish crackers in mine alot instead of cheese curls or cheese crackers. At Christmas time, I use the colored fish crackers. They remind me of the old fashioned Christmas tree lights we used when I was a kid.

Hope you like it as much as I do. Love this recipe cuz I can throw some together quickly when I get a craving.

cookin

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

we still love it. chex mix is a classic. i can sometimes find the "starter kit" in sams club

https://images.samsclubresources.com/is/image/samsclub/0001600044107_A?$img_size_380x380$

i can say that my hidden valley ranch oyster crackers go over a lot bigger than chex mix. it also makes a good food gift when you put it into a cute tin or other packaging.

https://cincyshopper.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Ranch-Oyster-Crackers-11.jpg

@sunshine45, would you mind posting the recipe for the oyster crackers?  They look delicious!!

Honored Contributor

Not out of fashion with me, I never did like the stuff... Smiley Surprised Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@santorini

of course! we have been making these since the 70s! they are always a big hit, especially if people are having cocktails. this is the original recipe we used. newer recipes use less oil, but to me, they dont taste quite as good. i like to use canola oil, but use any oil you prefer.

hidden valley ranch oyster crackers

• 3⁄4-1 cup salad oil
  • 1 package ranch dressing mix
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper (i usually add more)
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill weed (i usually add more)
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (i usually add more)
  • 12 -16 ounces oyster crackers

preheat oven to 250 degrees

in a bowl, whisk together all ingredients except for the crackers

add oyster crackers and mix gently

spread on pan in a single layer and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until a golden color.

remove from oven and allow to cool. store in a tight container or in ziploc bags.

*i have also used flat pretzels for this and it is also tasty.

let me know if you have any questions! Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

THANK YOU, @sunshine45!  I will make this very soon.  Thanks for sharing the recipe!