Respected Contributor

Re: Chex Mix -- No Longer Fashionable?

@AuntMame

One thing I thought of why people may not eat it.  Did you put a spoon in the mix so they could scoop out a portion?  If not, maybe they didn't want to eat something that people would put their fingers in.   

Trusted Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

Hey fellow foodies, here's a question: Do people still eat/love Chex Mix? You know the party snack made with all the different kinds of Chex cereal baked with Worcestire sauce and sometimes pretzels and nuts. 

When I was a kid my mom always made big batches of the stuff for holiday parties. It was always my favorite, favorite snack. Woman Happy It was even regularly served at parties when I was in high school. O.k., I hung with a nerdy crowd. 

In recent years when I've made it for parties not a single guest touches it. No one. Nadda. Not even the kids. The pan goes untouched.

The taco chips disappear. The potato chips vanish. Even the icky sheet cakes from Sam's Club with the wads of blue frosting are almost entirely consumed. But the bowls of Chex mix remain lonely. I have to eat it all myself after the guests go home. Alas. 

Has Chex mix fallen out of fashion?  

I love Chex Mix (expecially home made) - in fact I think I will buy the ingredients tomorrow when I go to the store. I don't understand passing this up, but eating chips instead?  It is really good! Maybe they don't know any better or have bought the packaged mix and don't know that home made is so much better.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I never did like it and so many seemed so taken with it!  I do however like the chocolate coated mix with Chex.

Valued Contributor

My SIL makes a double batch every year at the holidays when we visit.  We wait patiently for it to come out of the oven and sit around the table laughing and carrying on until we have eaten every last morsel. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to make it, but, way to much salt.

cut that out along with about everything else. LOL

Valued Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

My family still loves it and so do I!  I use an old recipe from the 60’s that my Mom and Aunts used.  I make a BIG batch of it right before Thanksgiving and then another before Christmas and New Year’s Eve.  My daughters each take some.

I use Chex cereals, Cheerios and thin pretzel sticks in it. 

I just love love the Stuff!

@4kitties: has the recipe changed from the 60's?

Valued Contributor

I LOVE chex mix!!! I make it several times a year. Bring some to work now & then. I have a coworker who is very disciplined about snacks and sweets but he kept eating the chex mix. I told him I was surprised he would eat it, and he said that was his weakness and just couldn't stay away from it. I make mine in the microwave so I can so a batch or 2 (or 3) in a short amount of time.

cookin

Esteemed Contributor

It's probably not as popular as it once was but i LOVE the stuff and most everyone in my family does as well.  However, I don't make it anymore as once I start to eat some, I can't stop.  My friend's husband makes batches and batches of it every year to give away to friends and family..

The stuff in the bags is OK but just doesn't have the flavor or freshness of homemade.  The regular is pretty bland.  I will buy the "bold" occasionally (when I can find it).

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

I LOVE chex mix!!! I make it several times a year. Bring some to work now & then. I have a coworker who is very disciplined about snacks and sweets but he kept eating the chex mix. I told him I was surprised he would eat it, and he said that was his weakness and just couldn't stay away from it. I make mine in the microwave so I can so a batch or 2 (or 3) in a short amount of time.

cookin

@cookinfreak, Do you use the same recipe for the microwave?

Honored Contributor

Love it at the holidays and dig right in.  Never make it through out the year not sure why but I do not think it will ever go out of fashion during the season.  That stuff at the store is not the same thing, good yes but not Great by a long shot like the original homemade Chex.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."