Super Contributor

Cherry pie filling...I would use cornstarch, sugar, a little salt and some almond flavoring. I suspect for a 9 inch pie you would need as a minimum at least 6 cups of pitted cherries, minus the juice. Reserve about 1/4 of the juice and add the sugar, cornstarch, salt and almond to the juice then add the juice to the cherries before pouring them into the crust. Bake of the bottom rack of the oven.

Honored Contributor
On 12/31/2014 ivey said:

Did you use canned cherries instead of cherry pie filling. The filling would have thickener and sugar already added to the consistency you needed.

Cherries in their own juice would be a lot thinner consistency?

That's what I was wondering.

Respected Contributor

I suggest you make your own filling using any of the recipes given above, in place of canned pre-prepared filling. Prepared filling just isn't as good. To me, it has a sticky, pasty consistency and flavor. Filling is easy to make from scratch.

Honored Contributor
On 1/1/2015 qualitygal said:
On 12/31/2014 ivey said:

Did you use canned cherries instead of cherry pie filling. The filling would have thickener and sugar already added to the consistency you needed.

Cherries in their own juice would be a lot thinner consistency?

That's what I was wondering.

I had the same thought. That's what it sounds like to me. And if that's the case, the cherries shouldn't have been drained. That liquid is needed along with the thickening agent to create the "gel" that holds the fruit together.

Respected Contributor

I used drained canned cherries - not cherry filling. If I had not drained them I would have had a soggy mess. As it turned out, I still had a runny filling.

I'll use canned cherries with all of the other ingredients listed in some of these replies. I will substitute tapioca starch as I am partial to tapioca.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

You need to measure your crust and roll it out to fit the pan including the sides with overhang so the top and bottom can be sealed together. Fruit pies need to cool before being sliced because they are much more runny when hot. I can't help with the canned cherries, I've never made a pie with canned fruit or canned pie filling.

As to your question on how to make a good cherry pie, make a homemade crust, roll it out to fit the pan with over hang. Follow a recipe for the filling and either use fresh or frozen fruit not canned. Use the correct amount of thickener for the type of fruit ( frozen fruit will need more thickener as it gives off more juice than fresh fruit does). Crimp the top and bottom crust well, and bake the pie on a sheet pan and make sure to use an oven thermometer so you know you are cooking at the correct temp, many ovens run high or low of the stated setting.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

Don't feel bad, at least you could use it for a cobbler.

My first cherry pie had to be tossed. My husband's Granmother gave me a jar of her home canned cherries from her tree.

Made a home made crust,thickened the cherries etc. Made a lattice top crust-it was beautiful-only thing, no one told me the cherries had pits!{#emotions_dlg.blushing}