Trusted Contributor

Re: Chef who murdered wife -- don't read unless you have a very strong stomach.

Tastes just like chicken....
Respected Contributor

I followed this story in the Daily Breeze online when she was reported missing & he then jumped off the cliff in PV, because I grew up in the South Bay area of L.A. & when I was in college, my friends & I used to hike those cliffs down to the beach in Palos Verdes where he jumped all the time.

I remember reading in the story in the paper online where they supposedly found bone fragments or a skull in the attic of a place where he & the dead wife had lived. It wasn't mentioned in the '48 Hours' program, so I don't know if that was part of the story the police were planting to get him to run or what. They said no trace of her body has ever been found in the TV show. The local police seemed to be trying to play mind games with him to get him to spill the truth of what happened.

Looking at the show & seeing the actual place where it happened, it almost seems physically impossible that he could've done it the way they said he did, but who knows?

Esteemed Contributor

Wow{#emotions_dlg.scared}

According to this, he confessed{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

http://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram/articles/2013/03/22/chef-david-viens-killed-cooked-wife-sentence...

California chef David Viens was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison Friday for murdering his wife and then disposing of her corpse with culinary flair.

The shocking story began in 2009 when Dawn Viens went missing. Her husband, who owned a restaurant in Lomita, Calif., pretended that she had run off, and allegedly used her phone to text message friends. The restaurant, according to a profile on urbanspoon.com, was "Vegan Friendly" and served American-style food.

When police were closing in on him in 2011, the Los Angeles Times reports, Viens jumped off an 80-foot cliff in an unsuccessful suicide attempt.

Recovering in a hospital, Viens confessed to police detectives that he killed his wife, but said her death happened unintentionally after he duct-taped her mouth and arms, then fell asleep.

Fearing that he would be suspected of murder, Viens said, he decided to dispose of the corpse.

"I cooked her four days, I let her cool, I strained it out," he said during the tape-recorded confession, noting that the grease trap caught some of the drippings.

"I took some—some things that we use, and I put them on top of her body, and I just slowly cooked it."

Most of the remains, including "seven or eight pounds in grease," were thrown away, Viens said in his confession. His wife's skull, he said, was stored in his mother's attic. That body part was never found by police.

The Times reported that Karen Patterson, a friend of the victim who testified that David Viens had abused his wife before her death, told reporters during the trial, "He treated her—literally—like a piece of meat and got rid of her."

Despite his confession—and subsequent conviction for second-degree murder—Viens now claims that he didn't kill his wife. "I loved my wife. I didn't cook my wife," The Times quoted him as saying Friday. Prosecutors wrote in a sentencing memo that Viens is "a liar and a manipulator."

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Thanks, Bette, I knew I had heard about the skull in the attic story someplace, but was thinking maybe I'd confused it with some other true crime story. It was never mentioned on 48 Hours.

ETA: It was part of the trial story from the Daily Breeze.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/5/2014 aubnwa01 said:

Thanks, Bette, I knew I had heard about the skull in the attic story someplace, but was thinking maybe I'd confused it with some other true crime story. It was never mentioned on 48 Hours.

I don't remember hearing about the case till now. Horrific!

Not only how does someone do something like that, but how do they confess the details and then say, oh, sorry, I didn't do it?{#emotions_dlg.scared}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2014 betteb said:
On 2/5/2014 aubnwa01 said:

I don't remember hearing about the case till now. Horrific!

Not only how does someone do something like that, but how do they confess the details and then say, oh, sorry, I didn't do it?{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I only knew about it because I'm from that area & check the local paper online from time to time & it was big news at that time.

I don't understand how someone could do that either. Obviously, he has mental problems & drugs were involved on both their parts, as well.