Highlighted
Super Contributor

Cauliflower mashed "potatoes". What's the best way to prepare them?

We're having dinner guests and one of them is diabetic. He hasn't asked me to accommodate his diet, but I thought I'd make the cauliflower mashed potatoes. I've never made them before.

I'm assuming they can be really good if done "right" and pretty yucky if done "wrong".

Does anyone have a good recipe or technique for these?

Thank you.

Super Contributor

Re: Cauliflower mashed ""potatoes"". What's the best way to prepare them?

Ruby Tuesday (copycat) Recipe)

(Food dot com)

1 head cauliflower
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder

Directions:

Divide head of cauliflower into florets that are roughly the same size.
Steam cauliflower pieces over boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
Drain the cauliflower and toss it in a bowl of ice water to end the cooking process.
When the cauliflower has cooled, put the florets in a food processor along with 1/4 cup water.
Puree the cauliflower on high speed until smooth, but with some very small pieces of cauliflower remaining for just a bit of texture.
Pour all of the pureed cauliflower into a medium saucepan.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/2 cup of water and add the solution to the cauliflower.
Add the cream, sugar and remaining spices and stir.
Set the saucepan over medium heat and cook, sirring often for 5 to 10 minutes or until thick

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/ruby-tuesdays-creamy-mashed-cauliflower-copycat-320466?oc=linkback

Honored Contributor

Book: The low-carb cookbook by Fran McCullough. Hubby loves hers. Too long to copy here today for me. This is potato Salad with cauliflower. Sorry not mashed potatoes.

side note: Her meatloaf recipe is great too.

I'm not even doing low-carb, but she has great recipes. Your library could have it. Don't know if she has a web page or not, may want to check on that. HTH.

Honored Contributor

thanks for sharing this Ruby Tuesday recipe; this is DH's absolute favorite and he orders it whenever we go there; I will definitely be making this; the recipe looks pretty simple!

Super Contributor

Mashed "Potatoes" From Living Low-Carb It's our favorite potato impostor, cauliflower, that's tasting so deliciously potato-like here. You don't need to serve this dish with any apologies: it's really good in its own right, and it deserves a place on any holiday table. I learned this method of cooking cauliflower from the California Cook, Diane Rossen Worthington. Bonus: You can make this dish a day ahead and just gently reheat it before serving. Serves 4 I large head of cauliflower, tough stem removed, cut into florets 3 tablespoons sour cream or ricotta cheese 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1/2 teaspoon salt Big pinch of ground cumin (optional) Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional) Put the florets in a steamer basket inside a large saucepan. Add an inch of water to the pan, cover, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is just tender. Drain it very well on kitchen towels. Puree the cauliflower in a food processor, then add the remaining ingredients except the parsley and puree until smooth. Scoop the puree into a warm serving bowl and garnish with parsley if desired. Serve hot. Per Serving: Carbohydrate: 3.9g plus 2.8g Fiber Protein: 8.7g Fat: 9g From Fran McCollough's website: Mashed "Potatoes" From Living Low-Carb It's our favorite potato impostor, cauliflower, that's tasting so deliciously potato-like here. You don't need to serve this dish with any apologies: it's really good in its own right, and it deserves a place on any holiday table. I learned this method of cooking cauliflower from the California Cook, Diane Rossen Worthington. Bonus: You can make this dish a day ahead and just gently reheat it before serving. Serves 4 I large head of cauliflower, tough stem removed, cut into florets 3 tablespoons sour cream or ricotta cheese 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1/2 teaspoon salt Big pinch of ground cumin (optional) Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional) Put the florets in a steamer basket inside a large saucepan. Add an inch of water to the pan, cover, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is just tender. Drain it very well on kitchen towels. Puree the cauliflower in a food processor, then add the remaining ingredients except the parsley and puree until smooth. Scoop the puree into a warm serving bowl and garnish with parsley if desired. Serve hot. Per Serving: Carbohydrate: 3.9g plus 2.8g Fiber Protein: 8.7g Fat: 9g
“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Trusted Contributor

If I am doing them for a special occasion then this is how I make them.

I steam half a head of cauliflower in florets and two potatoes, cubed. Then in a saute pan I caramelize a large onion then add three chopped garlic cloves for the last five minutes.

Mash the cauli and pots with a little heavy cream and 3 TBS butter, S&P, and a big handful of fresh grated parmesan cheese. Add the onion and garlic mixture and stir well.

Put in a casserole dish and cover with foil. You can make these ahead of time, they reheat really well. When ready to serve, heat in 400 degree oven til hot, uncover and sprinkle on some mozzarella and cover with some French fried onions. Place back in oven for 5 minutes to crisp onions and melt cheese.

These are delicious but decadent. Good for a special treat.

Super Contributor

SO sorry about the run-together sentences above. I don't know how to fix it, but you could copy/paste into another document and fix.
“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Super Contributor

Thanks to all of you! I feel much more confident about this now.

Can this be made ahead of time, or does it depend on the particular recipe?

Super Contributor

On 1/28/2014 house cat said:

Thanks to all of you! I feel much more confident about this now.

Can this be made ahead of time, or does it depend on the particular recipe?

I make this regularly using the recipe from the South Beach Diet book. I like them and frequently make them to have with meatloaf. I add a bit of cheese and a slight sprinkle of the lower sodium Lawry's. I find that using my Vitamix made a huge difference in texture. I also use it to make a similar cauliflower pizza crust.

I find I can make it ahead of time, and it is okay that way - but - it is much better fresh, in my opinion.

Regular Contributor

Mine is a version of the others with a slight difference:

Steam cauliflower (usually 2 heads) until fork-tender. In the meantime, I roast garlic and shallots in the oven. Put all in the food processor, adding a little (maybe 1/3 of the brick) of low fat cream cheese and a small container of plain greek yogurt (or sour cream if you prefer). Salt and pepper to taste (I only use pepper). Blend until smooth.

Put in a casserole dish and sprinkle parmesan on top (I use parm. reggiano) and put in the oven at 350 degrees until cheese melts and browns.

Enjoy!