Honored Contributor

Re: Cathy Pedrayes joining ITKWM as social co-host

Is David no longer a host? He get promoted up or something ?

Respected Contributor

@SharkE, David still has his shows. The changes to Mary's show is independent of David's shows. He seems to sell well, so it is unlikely Q would reduce his on-air time.

Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I was just about to post that more of Kathy P is not a plus for me. Sorry if you're a fan, but most of the newbies are too squeaky and squealy for me.  I was happy the way the show was without any more hosts.  No screaming and not too much inter-host conversation. 

I'm beginning to wonder if the Q has hired too many new hosts. Seems they may be looking for ways to use them. What's happening to the more seasoned hosts?  Are they making less money now that their hours are somewhat shortened?  Just curious.  

@Perkup ..... I love Cathy & am glad she is joining Mary on ITKWM ... ... as far as “the more seasoned hosts” ..... I don’t think they are making less money because I believe their yearly salary is in their contract so unless their contract is up for renewal their salary remains the same ..... also, perhaps the “more seasoned hosts” are looking to retire & enjoy themselves with their families .... that’s probably the reason for so many new hosts ... I wish them all well 🙃

Esteemed Contributor

Mary has been Cathy's mentor as she's come onboard at the Q, so they have a good bond and should work well together. Cathy called in to ITKWM to chat about the new setup and mentioned that the social aspect of the show where viewers/customers can connect more directly with the hosts and vendors and see "behind the scenes" is one of her favorite things at QVC. I've heard Katie McGee say the same thing.

This approach of trying to be more personal with customers and promoting show hosts as "friends" of the viewers seems to be part of the new direction the Q has been taking in the past year. It remains to be seen whether it will be successful in bringing in new buyers or maintaining customer relationships (or providing significant benefits for the bottom line), but it seems more likely to expand rather than contract at this point.

Honored Contributor

Katie is a great host.  I haven't seen her in a while since they changed her times.  She can handle shows alone as she does a great job.     Cathy Pedrayes has improved a lot.  Seems like she should be hosting instead of doing social media.  Personnel that are not trained for on-air hosting could do social media.    I think QVC has hired so many new hosts because they have the three channels.  All three channels should be "live shows."  I hate when I tune in and the shows are old so the prices and/or free shipping is no longer available.  Or it is a program I have already watched.

Super Contributor

...Such as how to pronounce “t”s!  “Button”, “Cotton”, etc....

Valued Contributor

i don't remember what mary's title was when she was on david's show, but i think she was an associate producer.

if i remember correctly, she was online talking to people and answering questions about the products on the show.

if that is what cathy will be doing, like the lady that's now on david show, then i get it.

is it a demotion? don't know. i suspect the goal is to give some of the new hosts experience, while answering questions.

she may still host shows overnight, in addition to this.

for all we know, this could have been the plan all along, meaning some of the people hired in that group would eventually be at least partially moved to social media duties.

Valued Contributor

@Daysdee She does have a culinary degree . I wouldn't be surprised to see her have her own show eventually. I think they're trying to use social media more, and the host can't do both. It is odd to see them sitting around, but maybe it's a breather for them.

Occasional Contributor

I agree. I really like Cathy - she is my favorite of the new hosts. I wish QVC would use her more. I think she is much better than Cortney Khondabi who seems to be on TV 24/7.