Honored Contributor

I'm reading a cozy mystery set in Savannah and the author included a reference to a cat's head biscuit.

I'm not from the South, but guessed that it was a very large biscuit. So I looked it up and was happy to learn I guessed right.

What a yummy concept!

Does anyone make these?

Cat head biscuits -- bonnie's | Recipe | Cat head biscuits, Food recipes,  Biscuit recipe

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Cat's head biscuit šŸ±

@GingerPeachBeing from the north I'd heard about Cats head biscuits supposidly the size of a cats head. and a number of other southern biscuits and wondered what the fuss was about.

Then I went to Tennessee and Had the Biscuits.  I don't know what those bakers do but they are indeed "fuss worthy"! 

Valued Contributor

I am from SC and I have to admit I have never heard that particular name for biscuits.  I looked online and there are a number of recipes from different sources - All Recipes, Martha Stewart, etc, etc.

Respected Contributor

Never in my entire southern living life have I heard of them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't realize cat head biscuits were a thing until we went to visit my mother's friend out of state when I was in first or second grade.  On the way home, I said something in the car about how small their biscuits were and my mom and grandma laughed.  That's the first time I heard them called cat head.  šŸ˜¹

When my grandma shared recipes with my mom, and they called for flour, she'd put in parentheses:  (I use White Lily.)  I remember drawing kitty faces on my mom's cat head biscuit recipe card and that it called for White Lily flour.  She probably still has it in her recipe box.

Honored Contributor

I've made these from a former co-worker's recipe that uses both cake and regular flour:

1 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 cups cake flour (I like King Arthur's)

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 stick butter cut into 1/2" chunks and softened

4 tbsp shortening cut into 1/2" chunks (I buy the sticks of Crisco)

1 1/4 cup buttermilk

Whisk flours, baking powder and soda, and salt in big bowl.  Use fingers to mix in butter and shortening until dough is texture of coarse meal.  Stir in buttermilk.

Place 6 heaping 1/2-cup portions of dough into greased round cake pan.  Bake in 425 degree oven until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then finish cooling on wire rack. 

Honored Contributor

Someone my husband works with talks about them and that's the only way I know about them. So I have heard of them. It sounds funny to me. When he first brought it up I thought he was joking. The ones in the pic look delicious.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My farm Grandma made cat head biscuits 4-5x a week on cookie sheets.  As a child I loved her biscuits with her homemade apple butter, jam, or slices of bacon, ham, pork tenderloin or sausage.  Her cook stove had a warming oven and it was such a treat to open that door and see biscuits and meat inside.   

Now, I prefer a thinner biscuit without all the fluff in between.   

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I'm reading a cozy mystery set in Savannah and the author included a reference to a cat's head biscuit.

I'm not from the South, but guessed that it was a very large biscuit. So I looked it up and was happy to learn I guessed right.

What a yummy concept!

Does anyone make these?

Cat head biscuits -- bonnie's | Recipe | Cat head biscuits, Food recipes,  Biscuit recipe

@GingerPeach 

As much as I love cats, never heard of Cat Biscuits...šŸ˜ø.....O/T Also, I love cozy mysteries is that cozy mystery series you mentioned by any chance "Savannah Secrets" If it's the one, what do you think of the series? I was thinking of ordering this series....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.ā€
Esteemed Contributor

such an unappetizing name......